1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

LTEC’s Teardown of the On-Board Charger

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Elektroingenieur, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    vvillovv likes this.
  2. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks for the research time and link.

Since we don't really have data yet on how long the gen4 traction packs are going to last in the wild and charging is going to be one of the big issues with those numbers, it just makes me wonder if Toyota is slowly upping the size and timing of the series cells.

While tesla is doing the grunt work on series / parallel configurations.

For those interested in the different configuration pros and cons Rich Rebuilds takes a tesla charger out and opens it up.

I started the video at 9 minutes into the 13 minute video. Also this video shows an upgraded charger from the original rebuld video I remember. Rich includes a shot of the old charger at the very end of the video.

Anyone that has worked on batteries for a while, typically knows first hand how easy it can be to bork a battery module by feeding it constant current at the wrong intervals for the specific chemistry of the cells

I use my imagination when it comes the Tesla pack, it's modules and module configuration, while guessing how they can charge and discharge that huge set of, 18650 cells in the model S and X and the 2170 cells of the model 3, so quickly.

While Toyota 5 banks of cells in series for the Prime, does something similar, but different and at a much slower speed in both directions.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    liquid cooling

vvillovv likes this.