1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lucas oil additives 2 combat oil consumption?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kammssss, Feb 4, 2012.

1. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey Everyone,

Has anyone used this product to help decrease the oil consumption on their Prius? I have 203k on my 05. She is burning about half a qt. every 3k. I know that is not bad for a car with 200k. I just would prefer it to burn less/zero if possible. The guy on the 300k thread did use it with mix results. He mentioned that he will try it again for a little longer, but he just sold his car. Thanks everyone.

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Please do try it. We need more data. What oil are you running now? Have you ever sent off a sample for analysis?

3. MrBillTulsa

MrBillTulsa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five

My comments may or may not be related to your issues, but I wanted to share.

Years ago in a Dodge Ram Pickup, 360cid V8, while attempting to cross the state of Illinois the long way, before dawn - I produced a hot engine by getting low on oil and boiling out some water. Being close to nowhere, surrounded by 10 foot corn, and employing deficient common sense, I drove on until I could locate the fluids that I needed. The engine got hot.

I finished my northbound trek, attended the weekend air show, and returned to Tulsa, only adding water and oil with every tank of gasoline (13 mpg!).

For a few years thereafter, I went through oil like crazy, belching out thick white smoke with nearly every startup (but not all startups!).

Compression check showed high & tight on all 8, both wet & dry. Swapped out all 16 valve seals - no help. Checked out EGR and crankcase ventilation - to no avail. Converted to cheap oil and drove on.

Longer story made short, I finally tried a retail product I read about in Popular Science and bought at Wal-Mart; RESTORE is the name. For the likes of me, I have no idea how it works, but it did. Having grown up with the likes of STP and SLICK oil additives, I kicked myself for even trying such a thing. Still, it worked.

I still have this 1998 beater truck, and I use it around town when I have to. It does still consume some oil, but I'd say its current use is about 1/4 of what it was before the RESTORE; and, there is no smoke, and no drips on the garage floor.

So there; that's my story and I'm stickin' to it. If any of you have ideas or comments about this scenario, please chime in and share your expertise. As for me, I have no idea what happened, but the RESTORE put me down the road after a stupid mistake.

BTW, I have no affiliation with any of the products mentioned.

MrBill

:eek:

Dino33ca likes this.
  4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't worry too much about your oil consumption. Internal combustion engines are supposed to use some oil - it's normal.

I know this, because Tyler knows this.:nod:

That said I would advise against using any oil additives.

My 05 has 165K miles and uses about the same amount as your 05.

I drive at 70 mph about 80% of my daily commute. Oil consumption increases with rpm. The little 1.5L in the Prius is running at about 2500 rpm at a cruising speed of 70.

So, I check the oil level after every 500 miles or so. A little oil consumption is fine. Running the engine low on oil ain't.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ditto that. You will have to check the oil frequently in any case, so don't bother with additives. Just add more oil.

6. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've just never seen anything to convince me that Lucas Oil Stabilizer (LOS) does anything other than to modify the grade of the oil. This might be useful if you were trying to extend the drain interval of a really cheap (not synthetic) multigrade oil that was thinning and not holding grade over an the oil change interval. But modern synthetic (and even semi synthetic) oils hold their grade so well that this just isn't an issue.

Now some people on the other hand like to use the LOS to just change the grade of their new oil, but why? Why not just use a heavier grade in the first place *if* that's what you really want to do, it achieves the same end.

Personally at one pint per 3000 miles I don't recommend doing anything, other than regularly checking the oil, and of course don't be afraid to top it off. You could also try a high mileage oil, like "Valvoline Maxlife" for example. That's especially formulated for older engines and it can reduce the consumption a bit.

7. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone. I've been using Mobil 1 (extended 15k version) since day one. My oil change intervals were 5k for 100k. 10k interval after that. I think I will try some Lucas and report back to you. I don't think much will happen if it doesn't work. I figure its worth a shot. I am going to put some in now for the Vegas return trip. A lot of hill climbing. This will be a good test. Wish me luck.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...you should perhaps try Mobil-1 High Mileage formula which has extra dose of leak preventative. Also make sure you are using 5W-30 and not lower visc.

9. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    what are your long term plans?

if I were planning to keep it for a few years, I'd pay to replace valve seals.... but with the consumption you have it may be too late.

Check if there are no leaks and have compression checked.

If you are not planning to run car for another 100k any additive which promises softening seals should help to prolong agony good luck

10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ensure you're using the correct grade of oil. Adding oil is cheaper than fixing the worn out engine. I'd just keep adding oil until the car starts to fail its emissions. I mean, at 200k+ miles it's pretty worthless other than to you.

11. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again. I've been using the recommended 5w-30 since day one. There are no leaks whatsoever. My engine compartment looks new. I really take care of my cars. I just added 1/2 qt of the Lucas Oil additives (synthetic version) to my engine yesterday. The synthetic version doesn't seem to be as sticky as the regular one. I drove around for like 50 plus miles and was still getting 50mpgs. The real test is tomorrow when I return home. Vegas to Los Angeles, with the massive hill climb, will definitely be a good test to see if the stuff helps stop oil consumption. I'll keep you posted. Peace.

GregC1979 likes this.
  12. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At wjtracy...I looked into that high mileage formula, but when I compared the two bottles, by looking at the label from the back, the Mobil 1 extended version is still more superior. Did you get better results?

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe superior as it comes originally out of the bottle. But what about after you start adding your dose of straight 80 weight glop and soap bubbles (aka Lucas Oil Stabilizer). Then all bets are off in my opinion. Just use an oil that's designed for a high mileage engine in the first place. And if you want more viscosity then buy an oil with more viscosity, instead of adding big doses of 80 weight glop and then pretending that your 5w30 or 0w30 oil is still in any way retaining it's original specifications.

14. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I guess this is only a sample of one but I wonder if it is worth the high price to use the expensive Mobil 1 and we still end up with an engine that consumes oil.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...I only have a marketing brochure I have not been able find on-line yet. The Mobil-1 High Mileage formula get 3 checks for oil loss control which is the best. However, the High Mileage formula only gets 1 check for fuel economy and cold temp start-up protection. So it seems like the High Mileage formula is really designed to reduce oil loss. However, you may elect to use Extended Performance depending on what your priorities are.

16. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @wjtracy...I might try that Mobil-1 High Mileage on the next oil change. Here are my Lucas results: 1/2 qt. Driven for over 500miles. Can't really see any oil consumption result yet. And to my surprise, I got 50.9mpg on the way home from Vegas. I've never gotten this result before. And I've been on this same trip for over 2 dozens time. 45mpg was my best ever. Who knows, maybe it plays some factor after all. I'll keep you posted.

GregC1979 likes this.
  17. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know, I didn't see any noticeable oil consumption until 150k. It's actually not much consumption. I just wanted to prolong my car until 300k, so that's why I am trying to find alternatives in reducing oil consumption. Many people, including myself, in the 200k/300k are pretty much running synthetic, especially Mobil 1. But if you get the same results by using regular oil, let us know. BTW, all engines will burn some oil. Peace.

18. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Maybe your wallet was much lighter than usual this time :confused:

Anyway, interesting result. Please keep us posted. Most stuff like this is just snake oil.

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sorry kammsss, I didn't notice you mentioned their newer synthetic additive. I was thinking of their older non-synth stabilizer which is just like treacle (and which I'm pretty sure does nothing but modify the viscosity).

What's the viscosity of the synthetic Lucas stuff look like. Maybe it does something apart from just modifying the viscosity. Let us know how the results go. :)

20. kammssss

kammssss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @seilerts...LOL...I actually won money this time...GO GIANTS! @uart...it's hard to tell the viscosity of this stuff, but it is much thinner than the regular stuff. I remember using the original stuff on my 72' VW Bus; it had to be squeezed out. This synthetic stuff came out on its own (I was shocked). I am a very consistent driver, always cruising at 70mph, unless it's downhill. I'll keep everyone posted every 500miles. Peace.