1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lucky with catalytic converter theft

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Stu Wood, May 17, 2022.

1. Stu Wood

Stu Wood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2010 basic Prius with 132k miles and was in KC visiting my daughter when thieves attempted to steal the catalytic converter, evidently a common occurrence in KC. Did not know it until I started the car up and the exhaust told me it was gone. I looked under the car and the converter was still there but half way hacked off. I was ignorant of the fact that the converter has coolant running to it to heat up the engine quickly and tried to drive it back home (185 miles) where I was going to get it repaired. About 20 miles down the road the the hot engine light came on with the engine coolant pump screaming. Only had some a thermos of tea in the car so I poured it in the expansion tank and drove it about 5 miles to a gas station where I bought a gallon of antifreeze. Drove it back to my daughter's place stopping about four times when the overheat light came on with the water pump screaming each time. I used up all the antifreeze and a couple of gallons of water a gas station was kind enough to provide me with. Drove my daughter's car back home and she drove the Prius to her mechanics (about two city miles) to have it repaired. It took from October to April to get the car repaired (hassle with the insurance and getting parts from Japan during covid). When I picked up the car I drove it to my daughter's and checked out the coolant expansion tank. It was a little low so I topped it off with antifreeze I brought with me with the expectation that I would be using a lot of it driving back home. I was expecting that I would have a warped head and would have to get it repair at a repair shop near my home. Surprised that I did not have to add any coolant driving home and have put on 1500 miles without adding any coolant. I am crossing my fingers but feel sure that I lucked out in not getting a warped head. In addition I have a new catalytic converter and water pump for my $500 insurance deductible.

bisco and CR94 like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, all the best!(y)