1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lunch of suffering

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hkmb, Jun 15, 2023.

1. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This article really appealed to me: it reflects what so many of my friends have said over the years.

‘Lunch of suffering’: plain ‘white people food’ goes viral in China | Food | The Guardian

Under a photo of processed cheese, ham and crackers packed neatly in plastic, a Weibo user writes that to eat this for lunch is to “learn what it feels like to be dead”.

The post is part of a trend among Chinese social media users who are recreating “báirén fàn” or “white people food” to better understand – or poke fun at – western packed lunches made up of plain ingredients such as raw vegetables and sliced meats.

I'm going to @ in @Leadfoot J. McCoalroller since it's such a foodie article.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What's wrong with raw vegetables?

hkmb likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    A veggie tray and a tangy dip can get you some new friends, but crudités and tequila? Better watch your a**, doc...

Funny how it all flips around.

Count me in there too. Someday I will run an automotive themed sandwich shop, even if it's just a pop-up stand for a weekend. There will be a lightly buttered mayonnaise sandwich on pillowy white bread (crusts removed) named the Silver Lexus.

An edible tribute to executive indecisiveness.

Slice of processed cheese product or dab of sour cream $1 extra if you are really (considering the adaptive synergies of) going off the rails.

Good article, thanks for sharing. They are not wrong at all.

#3 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 16, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    hkmb likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just enjoy raw vegetables. I love crunchy carrots. For suffering, maybe they should try the over boiled, plain vegetables that was the norm while I was growing up.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I'm there dude. I tend to enjoy large raw salads with lots of ingredients.

I grew up on the same boiled situation. I've got much higher standards for my own cooking now.

Just last night I grilled a mix of red bell peppers, long green beans, onions and mushrooms. Nice and roasty but on the plate well before mushy.

6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Just pointing out what they are seeing as a step down meal quality, could easily be a step up for the person.

I also don't my carrots and crackers with guac as a meal, but a snack.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Lunch for me is a toss salad with lots of healthy ingredients, maybe I’m not white, but I’m definitely not suffering.
    I’m sure a Chinese lunch would feel like suffering, but it’s likely chicken

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I think @hkmb 's linked article was mostly about uninspired, un-seasoned, lazily prepared, if even merely combined foods. No effort, no flavor.

The crackers and ham and processed cheese in a plastic bento blister is a pretty good example of the sad calories of last resort.

Now I recall somebody in Silicon Valley managed to launch a big company that was all about nutritious eating without any pesky flavor or texture.

It sounded positively ghastly. To each their own. I like food that makes me work and learn while I'm preparing it, makes it more enjoyable overall.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m sure many Americans food is bland and unhealthy, but why anyone would want to glom on to that, I have no idea.
    But we have watched fast food proliferate around the world.
    Our grandchildren have never been to McDonald’s, but their parents went once a week

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The missus wanted something like an Egg McMuffin this morning; my attempt:

IMG_1348.jpeg
    home made English Muffins too. :)

11. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    TV documentary told me that original Australians were exporting sea cucumbers to China even before Captain Cook Endeavoured to change things there.

Those are on my list of disfavored local cuisine. Not a short list, sadly. But I have some cultural baggage in BIOS, and that's that.

There are compelling reasons not to poke fun at cuisines of others, even if they seem to deserve it. Pots and woks are often both black on the outside and that's that.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sushi is popular here, not me though. what is american food? most people go out for ethnic

13. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Some American foods are coast to coast but others are very local. Juicy Lucy come first to mind.

14. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I suppose Oxford Mess is also a local item. Different country.

15. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A lot of people in China still have a very limited idea of what foreign food is.

Ooooh, so many ideas for automotive sandwiches.

THE NAVIGATOR: a two-foot-long, six-inch-thick sub with absolutely everything on it: chicken, fish, beef, pork, lettuce, tomatoes cucumber, cheese, jam, nutella and peanut butter. Way too big and oddly disappointing.

THE AUDI: the most expensive item on the menu. But you have to pay extra if you want condiments. Or bread. Or a filling. Or on a plate. Or in a bag. Or wrapped. Or not on a plate. Or not in a bag. Or not wrapped.

THE KEI: lovely. But really small.

16. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just Googled that: is that what it's called in America? In Britain, it's called Eton Mess.

....which is also what people have been calling the British Cabinet for the last few years.

It is lovely, though.

17. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I cannot abide sea cucumbers. Surely it's cheaper just to buy an old tyre and chew that.

18. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

THE CITRÖEN: A roasted pork Bánh Mì in a crisp French baguette with shaved radishes, carrot slivers and pickled cucumber slices and a tiny glaze of sweet fermented sauce, with lime juice, cilantro and shaved jalapeño rings over top.

THE FIAT: Cheap bologna and American cheese slices. We saw you coming and knew we could rip you off easy. Scan QR code for timeshare info.

THE MUSTANG: Inexpensive, fast & satisfying, if a bit fatty and immature. Please don't ask what kind of meat it is, just buckle up.

hkmb likes this.
  19. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Eton mess - I stand corrected.
    ==
    Raw vegetables (let's just say uncooked plant materials) have small roles in Chinese cuisine. Poop may have had a fertilizer role and in some way that is understood. Wherever crudities elsewhere appear, there is a presumption or certainty that consumers are free from risk. That means you. Here most everything is heated >60 oC, even if a microbiological basis is not recognized.
    We miss some vegetal 'crunch'. We still roll dice about whether every mushroom in the mix was correctly identified because the wrong ones are not purified by that little heat.
    ==
    I like the idea of naming sandwiches for cars, and that could reach high enough when someone says ingredients of THE PRIUS.

hkmb likes this.
  20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Twenty please.