1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lurker converts to an owner

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by akim, Jun 23, 2006.

1. akim

akim New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey all,

Been lurking around for a couple of weeks and just signed up today. Really appreciate the knowledge and the collective wisdom posted here.

After much consideration and drama with the ordering process, I finally picked up my red Prius on Wednesday!

(The wife and I were very hestitant on the red after seeing it in person, but we're growing to like it a lot. We bought it sight unseen, thinking it was the older red, not realizing they changed the red to the new Barcelona red...)

So here's my question - with all the uber high technology in the car, can't they come up with a fancier clock?

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the car immensely.

41 mpg so far after 80 miles.

2. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My thinking is that the engineers knew people like me would not run with the MFD on all the time, nor did they want to program the clock function into the MFD. For this reason, a small digital clock is fine.

3. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Most cars have the clock integrated with the radio...and since the radio is just a function on the MFD they decided to do the simplest thing...make it highly visible and easy to read.

My last car had a very fancy clock face with no numbers - drove me crazy!

4. Drift Motion

Drift Motion RMS13

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i like the clock, nice n simple, i was in my fd's infiniti once, i hated those clock...

nice n simple FTW

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to Priuschat. It's always great to hear when lurkers join.

Hesitant about the red? Are you serious? I have a Tideland and really like it - so does my wife. But not long ago, we passed a Barcelona Red and she was smitten, stared at it for quite a while and really liked it. And I have to admit that every time I see it I really like it. I know you will come to absolutely love it, forsaking all others.

Congrats on your new Prius; let the learning curve begin. :D

6. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What? Tony you forgot that you saw and took a ride in mine during the winter right after I got it? I'm shocked. :p (I bet he doesn't remember he owes me a dinner too) :D

Yes, mine is the Barcelona Red as well. And I honestly believe it is the best color of them all. It is truly elegant and easy to keep clean as it doesn't show the dirt.

As for the clock. Hmmm.....I have connections with the master clocker himself. I will suggest a few options. Star Wars option with moving stars background moving at light speed. July 4th option (US model only, sorry) with fireworks showing on the quarter hour. Or how about random clock? It gives you a random time so you can blame the clock when your late. hehe

Hey, if it keeps time I'm happy. And so far it is. So quit picking on my clock. (giggle)

Welcome to the Forum and hope to hear from you often.

Cheers

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Honda Civic had a nice clock feature that Toyota should copy. When the car is off, pushing either of the clock reset buttons lights that display. So if you are just sitting there you can see the time. Yes I know this is a tiny thing.

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i agree, i hate having to turn on the car just to see what time it is.

9. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    If you have the NAV system and want fancy, you can go to one of the diagnostic menus to the satellite screen. It shows the GMT clock. At least it'll make it easy to set the other one. :)

Personally I'm glad it's simple, it should be easier to replace if it goes out.

If I need to know the time and the car is powered off, I use my wristwatch. :eek:

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congratulations, and welcome out of lurkdom! :D

I have no issues with the clock in the Prius. In my prior car, the clock was built into the aftermarket Pioneer stereo unit and the manual became lost (I actually found it a month ago when cleaning out a file cabinet...oops!). There was no intuitive way to change the clock, and neither my husband nor myself could figure it out after quite some time (and some Googling) so it come DST it was an hour off until I got rid of the car and got the Prius with a much more user-friendly clock I might add. :D

11. B Rad

B Rad New Member

with all the uber high technology in the car, can't they come up with a fancier clock?
    41 mpg so far after 80 miles.
    [/quote]

You know this is a really great car when people start complaining about the clock !!!!

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use the sun dial instead. You didn't think that was an antenna did you?

13. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My old Acura and my present Honda both have navigation and the clock is right on the screen in the lower right corner or if you touch the screen it appears larger in the center. Even when the screen is dark the small clock shows on the bottom right of the screen. Very clean and I would much prefer that to the little digital clock on the Prius. I love my car, but since you mentioned it....

14. jonbeck

jonbeck New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 24 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]276340[/snapback]</div>
    Heck, even GM has had that feature since the 80's! Come on Toyota!

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Aug 11 2006, 07:58 PM) [snapback]301805[/snapback]</div>
    I use the sun dial, but I have to line up with North by using the GPS Nav system. :p

Tom

16. esskay

esskay Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Jun 24 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]276340[/snapback]</div>
    Even better, my Honda Odyssey displays the clock whenever you open a door!

And even better than that, my old Audi would also display the odometer when you opened the door. Probably like most other people on this site, I like to write down my odo info when gassing up, and with an electronic odo you often have to turn the car on to do that. Which I don't like to do while in the middle of refueling...

17. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I personally would have preferred a more 'line-of-sight' location for the clock, i.e., in the gauge cluster (or atleast the same general area, high up on the dash). This location would also have freed up the real estate on the center-stack for something else.

It would be nice if the radio display was up there, too. With the advent of steering-wheel mounted controls, there's no reason that the display for radio stations shouldn't be up in the gauge cluster.

It also would have been nice if the clock had been tied in with the MFD so as to be programmable to automatically adjust for DST.

18. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Aug 12 2006, 07:44 AM) [snapback]302106[/snapback]</div>
    I just wait till I start up, before I start moving. It only takes a few seconds.

19. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have the Barcelona red myself and my wife and I are deeply, deeply in love with the color.

And I too am annoyed with the clock. I always look at the MFD expecting to see the time there... I'll never learn. At the very least I'd suggest having both the little LCD one and an optional MFD overlay clock that shows on most screens.

And I really like the idea of the door sensor turning the LCD clock on. Take that idea straight to the bank.

20. auricchio

auricchio Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Aug 12 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]302115[/snapback]</div>
    Well, in 2007 DST is going to be totally screwed-up in the US. Congress, in a foolish effort to save fuel (about the amount the US uses in a few days), has mandated that DST start two weeks earlier (23March2007) and end one week later (03November2007).

Virtually every device with automatic DST detection will be wrong. Looking around my home, I can see the FAX machine, VCR, (possibly) the Prius, weather station, Palm smartphone, and a MacOS 9 computer.

Most computers will require a software update to update the automatic DST information. Chances are Microsoft will not bother with an update for Windows 95 and 98, nor will Apple update MacOS 9 and earlier systems. Besides, many people won't bother installing updates anyway, especially since they'd have to install all the earlier updates that they skipped.

Many devices (e.g. a VCR or FAX) simply cannot be updated.

Mission-critical systems (e.g. air-traffic, medical, transportation) will probably not be updated, because it takes considerable time to verify that any changes won't cause failures.

Ugh.