1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Lynne Cheney on the Daily Show (blunder)?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by F8L, Oct 26, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I tried to do a search and couldn't find it.

I thought this was a huge mistake on her part. :(

The Daily Show

John Stewart: You know they have been doing that all this 6yrs? I mean the Spanish bombing, the English bombing, and then all the bombs in Iraq.

Lynne Cheney: Yes yes but we were talking about American interests.

LONG PAUSE

John Stewart: Aren't we insterested in..

pause

John Stewart: Alright... I had assumed they were our alies but alright.

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What's the booboo? She accurately reflects a prevalent attitude. Not the attitude of Stewart's audience, or yours or mine, but I can name at least three prolific posters here in Fred's who would applaud her belief and position and claim she made no gaffe at all. Look how often, for example, the phrase "loss of life" is expressed as "loss of American lives", the unspoken implication being that non-American lives are irrelevant. No, she didn't goof. We did.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 26 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]530722[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot argue that Mark. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 26 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]530722[/snapback]</div>
    I cannot argue that Mark. :(

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't see the clip, but it sounds like the comments some of our Democratic friends in Congress are making, and the argument that our Libertarian friends are making in terms of foreign policy.

Why should we go to war to prevent terrorists from bombing Spain? That's not an American interest. Why are we worried about Iran developing nuclear weapons, when France, England and Israel are more likely to be hit by it (considering the delivery systems the Iranians have).

Ron Paul argues that we should never use our military on foreign soil except to protect American interests, and that doesn't include global initiatives set by international bodies.

It sounds like the opposite of what the current Administration has been doing.

5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So then is Iran wanting to wipe off Israel off the face of the earth the same thing as wanting to wipe America off the face of the earth? Or no?

6. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 26 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]531009[/snapback]</div>
    Four. Tsk.

MB

7. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Stewart and Cheney were both playing a little at semantics.

Cheney and the people who share her point of view seem to suggest that "American Interests" means American property or other significant financial investments around the world.

Stewart didn't "catch" her in anything, he was just challenging the semantic game she was playing with one of his own. "Aren't we interested in..." is the giveaway. Of course on a human level some of us are interested in peace and security around the world, but keeping the peace in Spain is not strictly an "American Interest" unless it involves protecting American money. Peace is not necessarily even an American interest, in the eyes of those who make a boat-load of money from the war machine.

I think it has become an American interest to stop terrorism globally though, because of the huge marketing of our "War On Terror." So a bombing in Spain does hurt our investment in the swaggering-cowboy-out-for-revenge image. I don't think it should be an American interest in quite that way, but Bush has made it so by his tough talk. Now every attack on our friends and neighbors amounts to a battle lost in the un-winnable War On Terror.

8. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

I saw the show and thought Ms. Cheney did just fine. She showed humor throughout the show beginning by making Jon a gift of a Darth Vader doll. She seemed intelligent, approachable, and likable. Stuart started making a few gaffes by trying to get her to defend her husband's politics, but then he came out and said he recognized she was not her husband and it was unfair of him to place her in that position. The woman showed courage to come on his show knowing she'd have to face the music. I'd invite her to a cocktail party anytime (if she left Darth Dick at home).

9. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess my worldview differs in that I do not see other peoples and nations as so seperate and I do not hold American interests so high about the rest of the worlds. I'm not really big on nationalism. :)

Thank you guys for the thoughtful replies as it has helped me to see other points of view when given the same information. :)

10. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 27 2007, 09:27 AM) [snapback]531227[/snapback]</div>
    Now, if you want to talk about her politics...they stink. It is only a select few who hold American interests (read corporate interests/profits) in higher regard than lives of citizens of other countries. Unfortunately, those few are rich, powerful people who are a-moral to the extent of eliminating everything/everyone, in their quest to retain/grow their power.

11. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't particularly like her either, however this was out of context i think, she was referring to the subject of their conversation not whether or not American interests were limited to American soil. Out of context=good tv

12. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MJGreen @ Oct 27 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]531265[/snapback]</div>
    Wasn't the subject of the conversation continued terrorist bombings and american interests?

13. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Oct 27 2007, 01:33 PM) [snapback]531288[/snapback]</div>

she was referring to a reference to bombings on american soil, I think it was a poor choice of words, but she's smart enough to know who our allies are. As I said I don't care for her, however i don't think she's stupid either.

14. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Oct 27 2007, 04:59 AM) [snapback]531126[/snapback]</div>
    For the record, I do not accept that belief. I was paraphrasing what others say.

Not that it matters to those who see the world through their own prism, and will never see the other side of an argument. But I did want to make the clarification for those who do read my posts, and dialog with me.

15. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Oct 27 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]531224[/snapback]</div>
    Hitler and Stalin also had the capacity to be personally quite charming but I'm not sure I'd want them at a cocktail party. This is why Lynne Cheney is, in many ways, worse than her husband. Just a cursory review of the organizations that she either heads or belongs makes it quite clear that her ideology is as far right (if not further right) than her husband's. She could quite easily be considered the most direct Bush administration liasion to the most radical of the neocon elements.

It's quite easy to see the lunatic right-wing when they're noisy radicals like Limbaugh, O'Reilly, Coulter, et al. It's much more difficult to do it when they're as outwardly charming as Lynne Cheney. My suspicion is she is to Dick Cheney what Karl Rove (another who also quite charming in person) was to Duh-bya.

16. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Oct 28 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]531567[/snapback]</div>
    I think you get demerits for mentioning Hitler and Stalin in this context, but you are right about Lynne Cheney being more conservative than Dick Cheney. She is much more of a social conservative.

She is a nice person, and I would love to have lunch with her, just as I would someone like Irwin Chemerinsky on the left. Its a good thing to be in contact with different types of people, and be able to disagree with someone without noting mass murderers in the same sentence.

17. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 28 2007, 10:53 AM) [snapback]531607[/snapback]</div>

finally someone else with a dual perspective, i love it, :)

18. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 28 2007, 01:53 PM) [snapback]531607[/snapback]</div>
    I'm certain many of the neocon rabble to which Ms. Cheney consorts are just lovely. Paul Wolfowitz and Douglas Feith are probably great to enjoy beer and skittles with at the local pub.

However, their theories and philosophies, heavily influenced by the likes of Binyamin Netanyahu and Israel's hard-line Likud party, have directly led to the United States being drawn into what will ultimately be determined to be one of the greatest foreign policy failures in the country's history, far eclipsing the Vietnam incursion. In that context, comparisons to how charming psychotic mass-murderers can be are appropriate.

I, personally, would not love to have lunch with any of them, regardless of how nice and charming they are, either on the Stewart show or elsewhere.

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Oct 28 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]531673[/snapback]</div>
    Ah, you forgot the Elders of Zion, of course.

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Oct 28 2007, 08:19 PM) [snapback]531780[/snapback]</div>
    Or reprojected by the 1992 DPG. Ohh wait, this one was real. haha