1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

M F D has given up the ghost

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by willys, Mar 11, 2005.

1. willys

willys Junior Member

Today my MFD has totally gone away after showing signs that things were not normal- one minute all was fine ; the wheels were spinning, charging arrows flowing and then the battery level indicator showed a whited out rectangle where the power bars were.

Various messages flashed: airconditioner not connected and Check system although aircon worked but audio flashed as "off".

My nav was non-op and side buttons when pressed had a very slow response time. Same thing when touch-screening commands.Verry slow !!!

Car was brought in and I was told a board need to be replaced.

Has this happened to anyone else??

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. willys

willys Junior Member

Oh Goodee!!! just a PIA having to leave my car in the shop (I thought) but on seeing that it only supposed to take a few minutes to install I felt better. Is ir really that short a time to replace it??[font=Andalus:74fea8bbd3][/font:74fea8bbd3]

BTW, thanks for the info ---This is a great community ! :D :D

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most folks are reporting a couple hours for the replacement...that's after they get the part in. You'll have to take the car to the dealer while they check a few connections (as described in the TSB), but once they confirm that it's dead they'll order the replacement. The time it takes for the replacement to come is the biggest question mark...some are getting them in a week, others 2 and some have been waiting, inexplicably, for over a month.

5. PNeu

PNeu New Member

I'm still waiting for this part since end of January after Toyota diagnosed MFD malfunction and supposedly (I don't beleive them anymore) ordered a new one.

RIDICULOUS, by any standard.

6. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had my MFD replaced last month. The part was ordered on a Tuesday and came in on Friday of the same week. It was installed the next day. I don't really know how long it took to do, but I took the car in at 7:30 AM and got it back at 1:00 in the afternoon. Everything has worked fine since it was replaced.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I would ask them to prove they ordered it.

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    I've had the display replaced. Took 5 working days to get the part, about an hour to replace. All warranty, no hassles. Coming up on my one-year 22,000 mile anniversary. Still, the honeymoon goes on....love my Prius!