1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mac Expo

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hdrygas, Jan 12, 2005.

1. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    After a lot of persistence I was finally able to see some of the Keynote. I am looking forward to Tiger from what I saw. Orders for the Mac mini brought The Apple Store's server to its knees for an hour last night. Note to those of you on the dark side, you can come into the light. For 499 you can have a Mac, you already have a USB mouse and keyboard as well as a monitor. No more viruses and spy wear, no blue screen of death. My iMac at home has been running continuously for 3 years with out a crash. The only time I have shut it down is for a thunder storm, and they are rare here, or to install the new operating system as they have come out. OS X is a great OS. I love my Prius and my Mac.

2. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Having JUST bought an iMac G5, I don't think I need to leap on the mini-Mac. :) Mine is more 'mini' though, no box, all in the display. I'm pretty well sick of my Bill Gates OS Compaq freezing up for many minutes at a time, or sometimes until I kill it. No viruses or Trojans. Maybe it is all the software that is running to catch those things before they make the Compaq sick. Perhaps an entire system rebuild will fix it, but I'm not chancing that without a backup machine.

My wife figured we needed another machine anyway now that my 6th grader has to turn in a lot of stuff that is web researched and typed or created with a word processor. My "definately NOT computer savvy" in-laws got an iMac in Nov so at least I saw it a little before we got ours. They are really happy because now I can figure out the answers to their questions instead of saying "I have no idea, never touched a Mac in my life". :)

I do miss my right button menus (stolen from OS/2 by Bill), too much mouse moving to select an action. Now, if I can only figure out how to skip/mark to the next/previous word, end/beginning of the line!

Who knows, if we get to loving OS X and the Compaq blows, we will get a mini-Mac to replace it.

3. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    os 8.1 and above support mouses with multiple buttons and scroll wheel

4. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah, I'm going to swap the Logitech 310 from the Compaq to the iMac. But does OS X (and the apps) recognize a right mouse button and provide context sensitive menus? That would be a "good thing" but I figure since the Mac is still shipped with a single button mouse, the OS doesn't have the native ability to do context menus.

5. deh2k

deh2k New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bruce,

Yep, it has right-button context menus. You can get to them with a single button mouse by holding down the ctrl key when you click. You can jump around or select text by word, line, paragraph, or document with the keyboard if you want to. Can use the menus with the keyboard too.

I like to think of PCs as the SUVs of the computer world. And like a Prius, the more you use a Mac the more you'll appreciate how cool it is.

6. bruceha_2000

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks, two handed operation, but better than having to mouse all the way to the fixed menu then back down.
    Yes, I want to! ;-) I figured out control <-- goes to the beginning of the line and control --> is EOL. I was expecting word jump, same as Windows. Tried looking in the System Preferences but didn't find word based jumps. So much to learn.