1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Mac People, I have a question!!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by h2photo, Jul 18, 2007.

1. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey people, Ive gor a 1.5GHz Powerbook G4, its got 1.25 GB of memory & its OS X 10.4.10. I've got 29GBs left on my 80GB HD.

Ive been using Firefox (with the google toolbar) and more and more lately Ive gotten the damn pinwheel! I read that if you remove the google toolbar that should fix it, well it hasnt! So I decided to try Camino, I hate it btw... I dont like Safari, but WHAT in the world could be going on with this damn pinwheel!!!

Tips, Tricks, Hints would be great!

TIA!!
    Holly

2. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm not a Mac driver but out of curiosity typed "Mac Pinwheel" into Google & got nearly knocked down by the immense avalanche of useful discussion of the problem - have you tried that yet?

MB

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    May I suggest some housekeeping.

First, go to versiontracker and download and install two programs: Macjanitor and CacheoutX.

Then go to your utilities and use Disk Utility to repair disk permissions. Permissions should be repaired about once a month.

After that is done, use Macjanitor. Macjanitor is for when you don't leave your computer on all night to give it a chance to do it's housekeeping (like rebuilding the desktop on the old systems) Start Macjanitor and do "all".

After all of that use CacheoutX to clear the caches on everything, including all of the browsers.

After that the 'spinning beachball' should be fine. You might find you have a little more space too.

As with all computers, back up and back up often.

4. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 17 2007, 10:04 PM) [snapback]480731[/snapback]</div>
    I have something like Macjanitor, Macaroni, it does what macjanitor does as well. But thanks for the CacheoutX, I'll look into that now! My computer backs itself up every other day (or I do it manually, depending on the work Ive done).

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    CacheoutX may do it for you as it sounds like maybe the Firefox cache needs to be emptied.

I use Mozilla and I manually dump the cache every few days.

But don't neglect repairing permissions. That keeps your computer healthy.

6. des101

des101 New Member

I have a G4 and very occasionally get this darn thing. IF i close down (not even restart) and start
    again I usually don't. I am thinking it is a little bug.

I don't mind Safari, but Camino is very buggy and almost useless.

BTW, I also googled it. Seems it is NOT a Mac problem.

--des

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 18 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]480731[/snapback]</div>
    Good advice. I do this often myself.

8. Dave

Dave New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a utility called "Cocktail." Does those housekeeping duties. When things slow down, or I get the spinning beach ball, I run cocktail, and all is good again.

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Haven't had any problems on my mac yet, but i've noticed with Firefox on windows that i have to close it down once in a while (i do a lot of research through it at work, and it's nice to have certain sites open for days, or even weeks on end). I think there's a slow memory leak somewhere - after a week or two it's using a good half gig of ram...