1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maddening Creaking from Back Seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ingyaningya, Sep 9, 2016.

1. ingyaningya

ingyaningya Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Lately there is been a really predominant creaking sound coming from the backseat area whenever there is the slightest turn or bump in the road. Lately it's been getting worse and worse, and it's obvious that it's coming from the backseat area, I just can't pinpoint where. I'm pretty sure it's not the shocks because when I push down on the car there is no sound, and when I jump around in the backseat I can't reproduce the sound either.

When I have a lot of junk on the seat, the creaking seems to go away slightly, but when there is nothing on the seat, the sound is extremely noticeable. Does anyone have any idea what the sound is?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try taking the seat out and see if it's still there.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Is the seat back securely latched?

4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Interior creaking sounds commonly come from plastic trim.

Exterior creaking generally comes from worn out suspension pieces.

#4 fotomoto, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Is it definitely from inside the cabin? If so, get someone else to drive and sit back there and listen around. And as mentioned, at least flip the seat bottom up and seat backs down for cargo storage, see what changes.

There's more to the suspension than bouncing the shocks. There are some bushings back there that might creak under driving load.

6. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Noises can be tricky.
    One thinks it is coming from left rear yet is coming from right front.
    The noise may even be from the under carriage.

I assume you checked the seat mounting bolts first, and I like the remove the seat idea suggested above. That would confirm the noise is in the seat.

Yes, plastic trim in the rear seat lower area is notorious for causing a noise...do a search.

Also, repeating good advise and someone ride in the rear and help locate the noise.

There are noise, vibration tools to help hunt yet typically not inexpensive other than a stethoscope (yes seriously).

So......happy hunting.