1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Made a HUGE mistake, looking for help.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DanMD, Dec 20, 2015.

1. DanMD

DanMD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

I made a stupid mistake tonight. All 4 door actuators have failed over the last couple of months. I started tonight on the rear drivers door to replace the motor. I got everything put back together(except the door panel) and shut the door without trying the release mechanism first. Long story short, the door is locked shut and I am thinking it might be that way forever. I played with the child mechanism, key fob, using a screwdriver to push the release lever down further and everything else I could think of. I am now wondering if I unbolt the door hinges if that will let me somehow get to the latch?

I'd really appreciate any help,
    Dan

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Dan,

If it makes you feel any better, you seem to be at least the third or fourth person to report exactly the same mistake on PriusChat just in the last few months.

I don't know what explains the sudden uptick; maybe a lot of actuators are reaching end-of-life at last. It is easy to feel dumb after making such a mistake, but the fact that so many people are making it suggests that the severity of the risk of closing the door before testing doesn't seem to naturally occur to people as often as maybe it should.

Seeing that the same mistake is biting a lot of people lately, I wonder if PriusChat could do a big public service, maybe by having a big prominent sticky in each model's forum: Read this for any work on a door lock actuator.

The ideal test is to keep the door wide open and simulate closing it by pushing a bolt or rod into the latch where the body strike goes, and making sure every inside and outside door handle, knob, and feature works to lock, unlock, and unlatch it. Then it's safe to close the door.

Maybe someone should even make a 15-second video, just because some of the terminology (like 'strike') might be new to non locky people.

Anyway, back to your door: is the inside trim panel still off, or did you put that back on too? What makes you think you can unbolt the hinges with the door closed? Are they bolted through from the B pillar side? I don't really think unbolting them would be a good idea: your problem is the door's attached by the latch and strike at the other end, and you might actually bend or crease it by getting its weight unsupported by the hinges and hanging by the latch.

If you take out the back seat and/or C pillar garnish, can you see the ends of the strike bolts? Perhaps if you could dremel slots in the bolt ends, you could drive them out with a straight screwdriver.

The problem won't be solved until you can get the door trim back off (if it's on) and reach inside to one of the actuator levers on the latch itself and make it unlatch. But maybe loosening the strike would help you by letting the door swing open, so you'd have access to get the trim off.

Or find out if the trim has any removable bits (the armrest, sometimes?) leaving a big enough hole to slip an arm in? You'd still have to cut the vapor barrier, but that's cheap. Last resort, cut the trim panel itself, and buy a replacement.

-Chap

3. DanMD

DanMD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have the inner door trim panel still off. Is it possible to reach the latch mechanism through the inside? I'll have to look again. I tried pushing the latch down further that the door latch pushes on, but that didn't help.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've taken off the trim panel on many doors and closed them to test. If it does not open, just detach the plastic release handle, manually pull on the metal extension rod and the door opens. I'd be shocked if the Prius is set up differently.

5. DanMD

DanMD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I just had the hinge bolts off and that did not gain me any access at the back latch. I tried manually moving the release but it doesn't work because I must have put the lock actuator back together wrong. I can not see any direct access to the release, it is all encased inside the lock actuator.

6. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you know how to use a Slim Jim ? If not, just about any tow company driver can open the door in short time using a Slim Jim.

7. DanMD

DanMD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think that will work. I can get on the release mechanism "input lever", but I must have put the actuator back together wrong, so it will not open the door. I have the inner door off and can move the release lever, but it doesn't release anything.

8. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's a tough situation but, if you have the inner panel off, there has to be a way to get the actuator apart while its in place. You just have to figure out how to do it. It may involve mirrors (to see), universal joints (to reach screws/bolts) or some other ingenious solution. The bottom line is, you have to figure out how to release the door from its mechanism. Persistence will likely be your friend (as well as patience).

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Forgive me if it's too obvious, but remember your actuator assembly has to have at least two movable levers sticking out: one (movable either direction) for locked/unlocked, the other (spring return) for the handle that opens the door. Make sure the one that you are pulling/pushing on is the right one.

Take the working mirror-imaged actuator out of the door on the other side and have it in front of you while fussing with the one stuck inside this door, which you can't see very well. Use the one you can see as a reference.

Don't make the same mistake reassembling the other door. :)

-Chap

10. DanMD

DanMD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to pull the other back door apart over Christmas and see what happens.

Dan

11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),24 Venza Limit,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Rear Hatch! Cars are getting too electronic. I prefer the old key doors and manual locks.

Yep, this is a two person job. Been there and crawled through the car with my wife ready to push the outside latch. Needs a manual pull override near the drivers seat like the cheap cars.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. DanMD

DanMD New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I finally got my car fixed. I was able to cut/pry the door lock actuator apart with a long gasket scraper. I did not damage anything else in the door. It took about an hour. What a good feeling when that rear door opened.

Dan

usnavystgc, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats, well done!(y)

14. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Persistence, patience and ingenuity. Good job!!!!