1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Made an unfortunate mistake.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Stoodo, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Stoodo

Stoodo Super Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I bought my used Prius today. (Not the mistake)

After a long day of hammering a deal over the phone and a 2 hour drive, I was just ready to take to my new car home.

As it turns out the car that was advertised by the dealer as a touring model turns out not to be.

I didn't notice until after I had gotten home.

Overall not a deal breaker.

I do realize it was my fault for not making sure the easiest way I know how (the 16" wheels)

Just thought I'd share. Doh! :eek:

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoodo @ Nov 16 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]540402[/snapback]</div>
    I think the other visual difference is that the rear spoiler is slightly larger on the touring as well.

3. ezbngrn

ezbngrn New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wouldn't worry about the fact that if it's not a touring model if you feel you got a good deal. Besides once you drive the car for a few day you'll fall in love with it. ;) <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoodo @ Nov 16 2007, 12:09 AM) [snapback]540402[/snapback]</div>

4. Stoodo

Stoodo Super Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the responses. :)

Yes I love the car. I just am slightly kicking myself for not checking things out thoroughly first. Also I may have spent a few dollars more on the car because it said it was the "Touring Model"

Oh well... Live and learn.

5. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the mistake was just in communication and you thought you were signing paperwork for a touring model but instead paid the regular price of a non-touring model, then say "oh well... live and learn."

But, if you have paperwork that says "Touring Model" and you paid the price of a Touring model, then you were robbed. If there are things listed in your paperwork that you paid for but didn't receive, like the touring rims or the different rear spoiler, then you need to go straight back to the dealer for a refund of the difference, or for a real touring model.

Don't not just say "oh well," because it's your money, not theirs.

6. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You've still got time--3 days, from what I understand--to return the car. You got ripped off in every sense of the word, not to mention the illegality of it all on the part of the dealer.

COMPARE HERE

Go back to the dealer and stop the deal. Unless, of course, you're accustomed to getting rear-ended...

7. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Smells like textbook bait and switch to me. I'll pile on with the others who say this is not something to shrug off. I would absolutely approach the dealer about this. My guess is all your paperwork will reflect the actual model and you might not have a case.

8. Stoodo

Stoodo Super Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to defend the dealer at this point. I bought a USED Prius from a dealer that doesn't normally sell Toyotas. I am sure they thought they were selling me a Touring model.

I am sure it was an honest mistake so I am not jumping all over them. I'll probably mention it and see what they say.

9. skguh

skguh Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Then they should be more than agreeable to making it right!

Standard: $20,110 versus (Touring) $21,810
    Go to KBB.COM and build your own.

Assuming 'excellent' condition, 40K miles for a 2004.

The "I didn't know" premise doesn't work--it's their JOB to know the difference.

[​IMG]

10. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoodo @ Nov 16 2007, 07:41 AM) [snapback]540543[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not saying that you should take the car back or not (I have a non-touring version and I like it just fine), But ,they sell cars for a living. That's their profession. They set the prices on cars based upon condition, mileage and equipment. I doubt whether it was an honest mistake.

11. Bohous

Bohous New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoodo @ Nov 16 2007, 10:41 AM) [snapback]540543[/snapback]</div>

Sorry, that's no excuse. Regardless of what make of car they typically sell they should know what they have on the lot. That's their job. I'm pretty sure the VIN would have told them touring/non-touring. If it was an honest mistake it's an awful convenient one.
    I don't know what kind of deal you got and if you are happy with your purchase that's great. Who am I to tell you what to do or how to feel. I'm just saying I think it stinks that you were "baited" by the ad to go to them for a touring model only to receive something less. JMHO.

12. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BTW, if you purchased a 2007 Package #6, the three differences between your car and the Touring model are:

15" Wheels vs. 16" Wheels (already mentioned above)

The Touring model has a slightly larger rear spoiler (also mentioned above)

The Touring model has different rate (stiffer) suspension springs for a firmer ride.

13. personallyuneek

personallyuneek Yankee fan in New England

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you get a CarFax on the vehicle vin before signing papers? That should have clarified the model

14. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Keep us updated, please. Sounds like you got taken.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoodo @ Nov 16 2007, 08:41 AM) [snapback]540543[/snapback]</div>

It's your money, if you're comfortable with what happened....

16. Stoodo

Stoodo Super Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to be reasonable about it, but I am not sure what would be a fair settlement.

17. hoop

hoop On The South Texas Coast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Also the touring model has fog lights! And HID headlights

18. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    let me get this straight..you wanted a touring model, but when you got home you realized it was a standard. i purchased a touring model a week ago, i could almost smell the difference. did you do any kind of research on the vehicles before you bought it or did the touring name just sound nice. if thats the case, i would say, eat it and call it a day. if the dealer pulled a fast one on you, which mine tried to do, but nailed him on it the next day, i would say you have a case...silly is a light word to describe your mistake, how about "de de de"
    btw, is it black with bisque interior from a dealer in northern florida, cause i saw one advertised on ebay that didnt sell a couple weeks ago..i was going to buy it myself but i emailed him and he said it wasnt a touring model

19. Stoodo

Stoodo Super Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hoop @ Nov 16 2007, 03:02 PM) [snapback]540695[/snapback]</div>
    I have Package 6 so I believe I have both of these anyway.

20. dogfriend

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stoodo @ Nov 16 2007, 12:29 PM) [snapback]540712[/snapback]</div>

Yes, Package 6 has HID headlights and Foglights.