1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Made my day

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by will I am, Jan 18, 2012.

1. will I am

will I am New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i was driving home earlier today when some dude honked frantically and as i turn my head i see this guy in a prius looking like the kool aid man with his thumbs up. so instinctively i smiled back returning the thumb :rockon: glad to see some one more excited than me. lol if your out there thanks!

i am a contractor for dishnetwork and directv. my reason to purchase the car was to save money in the long run. most cable guys look at me as if i am crazy but after i tell them what it cost me after gas savings which is less than $200 in payments, they are thinking of getting one them selves. cable guys spends around $400~700+ on gas every month and with 13~17 mpg there is alot to be saved.

i didnt do much to the car... pretty much added the q tower and stripped out the rear seats and covers.

sorry about the grammar its been a while...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2 people like this.
  2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard cable guy! Enjoy the ride and the savings!

1 person likes this.
  3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome to PriusChat Will I Am. Glad to see another high-mileage driver realizing that fuel economy pays. Especially if you can easily remove the roof rack for your longer personal journeys. What mileage are you getting? What are your typical driving speeds? With the drag from that ladder I hope you don't drive much on the highway. :D

1 person likes this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Cool. Yeah, I've usually seen D* and E* installers and Comcast/Verizon techs/installers driving around in vans and figured that's all they can drive and are reimbursed for gas anyway. I guess that's not the case for all of them.

Sounds like you've got enough space for your tools, equipment and ladder on top.

1 person likes this.
  5. will I am

will I am New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    thanks for the welcome

at the moment i am getting 51.6 mpg. mostly fwy but i drive at 65~50mph pretty hard considering i normally drive at 75+. i would say its about 4+ mpg loss. originally i going to get the V but i figured there wouldnt much savings once i put the ladder on. if i was to drive normally it would be in the range of the mid 40s as tested when i first got it.

there are diff departments in the cable biz in house, sub contractors and independent contractors. i was in the category of independent but the gov dont think so(w2 tax). we can pretty much do what ever we want as long as the customer is happy and everything works as it should. we still pay for everything gas, equipment and supplies. in house are the ones that drives those big vans with painted logos they are pretty much self explanatory( works directly for the company). contractors on the other hand does what ever and the employer requires. they are almost like in house workers but drive their own trucks and use their own tools(some are changing because of the new implementation of w2 tax. by providing company trucks/tools or getting paid per mile). so in the end it all depends who you work for.

if you ever noticed in the back of the trucks of cable guys there are hardly anything there. the prius has more than enough space but there is still work to be done to make it convenient to work with. i will need to make a rack that lifts up my ladder when opening the hatch. it will be simple to build but as of now i am broke since being towed for parking in the red in jeep lib(21mpg stick i4) on christmas eve while working....ruthless!

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I also initially cringed at seeing a serious air brake mounted to the roof, it takes only a moment to realize that this probably still gets twice the mpg at 70 mph that the alternate choices get at 35 mph.

From that perspective, I must say Bravo! Welcome to the world of hybrids.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  8. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to the forum! Does your job also allow you to turn in mileage? I have to make a trip once or twice a month from my office to our home office which is a 425 mile round trip. Making two trips a month covers my car payment. I really don't drive that much during a regular week so the long miles on one or two monthly trips equal out with the short mileage during the week. Have had new car for 4 months now and have little over 5K miles on it.

9. will I am

will I am New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    i would like to put the ladder inside but the little giant is super heavy and a pain to work with, but yea... i need at least 24ft for 2 story buildings. the standard is 28ft.

10. will I am

will I am New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    no turning in mileage for me. i have to pay for everything besides the receivers and dish. you can say i am almost self employed but i pick up jobs from a retailer. its like when you go to a home entertainment store and purchase some goods and want a professional installation. the store will hire or give out jobs to contractors. or... you can say i am like those guys who stand out side waiting for jobs in front of home depot. lol

11. will I am

will I am New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    today i did a worst case sinareo with the car half way full, a coworker taking the right seat and driving 50+ miles one way @ 65~85 mph. the trip meter read 125miles cons 40.6mpg avg 55mph. not bad at all. it was around 36mpg with load then it creeped up going back to the office.

edit: added more pics to first post
    [​IMG]