1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Made the decision!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by David Beale, May 18, 2007.

1. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, I live in Edmonton, where we have literally six months of winter. Not as bad as Jay in Winterpeg, but bad enough. It can get down to -50C (that's colder than -50F!), though thankfully, that is rare. -20C for weeks at a time is common though. Also, our side streets are only plowed once a winter usually. They get nicely snow-rutted!

So I was concerned with only having a Prius, with the low ground clearance and poor interior heat capability.

Then the "anti-Prius" (my 2001 Pathfinder LE) started to tell me it's time. I filled the tank (2/3 of a tank of Premium fuel) on the 15th at a cost of $72! I also did an oil change and noticed how much "wear" occured last winter. So I made an executive decision - get rid of it! I traded it on my new Prius. If the Prius doesn't work out for winter, I suppose I'll have to get something fuel efficient for winter use, but I'm hoping I can adapt the Prius for year round use.

I got a 2007 new Driftwood Pearl package "B". For those not familiar with Canadian packages, it includes everything but Nav and rear camera, and leather and HIDs, which aren't offered in Canada. No Touring offered here either, which I would have prefered. Prius are in short supply here now, with the rebate ($2000 cash back from the fed. govt). We have no incentives in Alberta, though BC and Ont. both have them. We have no provincial tax, so I suppose that makes up for the lack of provincial incentives. I purchased at the dealership a few blocks from my home. I had previously not wanted to deal with them, as they were pulling dirty tricks, but I went in to see if they had a Prius I might want, and to see if they had cleaned up their act. They had, and did have one. I paid list price, and got a reasonable price on my Pathfinder.

If I had done this last year I could have saved $2000. Oh well! I just wasn't ready then.

I have to phone them this morning, hopefully to arrange a delivery/exhange for Saturday.

So she is "Pearl"?

2. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good choice. The Prius is one of the most versatile cars around and the best commuter ever built! It will do as well as other medium sized FWD cars in cold weather. I recommend you consider getting an engine heater and cover your front grill during the colder months.

Compared to a pathfinder the prius should cut your gas bill with something like 67%!

3. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Engine heater: funny, I didn't even mention the block heater, and when I finally remembered and asked they replied "of course it has a block heater". Looks like I will get it tomorrow. It also comes with "carpet" floormats. Allweather floormats are extra - the ones with snowmelt holding chambers.

Off to do the insurance so I can register it tomorrow.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, carpet mats are standard in Canada (as are wheel locks and cargo net). An EBH is standard in AB and MB and... well I guess everywhere except BC haha.

All weather mats are extra ~$100. I have a set and they're pretty good.

5. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Well, it took longer than I had anticipated, due to the long weekend. But yesterday afternoon I was formally introduced to "Pearl".

Then it was off to AMA (AAA) to register.

Finally, back home in the privacy of my garage we got to know each other. ;)

Removing panels, checking fluids, tire pressures, etc. Installed V1 radar det. cabling. Looking for a place to install my amateur radio.

Playing with the electronics. The car was upset when a door button was pressed, even though the FOB was in range. Guess I'll find out what that was all about when I read the manual (haven't had time yet).

After a few hours my head began to spin so I quit for the night. Today I install the "standard cargo net" upper loops (drilling required). Guess I'll figure out where to put the Scangauge as well. Perhaps on the dash to the left of the steering wheel.

While the box under the hatch floor is tempting, I WILL NOT be including the 70 lbs! of "stuff" that was in the anti-Prius. I have it reduced to about 20 lbs so far.

6. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you swing over to

http://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/mileage/car/1163.html

You can see how my mileage has been affected by the harsh local winters. It should give you an idea of what you're up against.

I normally leave my block heater on all night (or at least three hours before I leave) and block the entire radiator opening (both upper and lower). Despite this, I still don't have heat immediately after engine start. It takes maybe ten minutes of warmup to get there, and then it's fairly weak. After driving a while, though, it's fine. Just get used to the engine running constantly when you're driving this winter.....it won't want to shut off.

7. David Beale

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    As long as it eventually heats up. It will be twice as good as the anti-Prius was even if the engine runs all the time. I will be blocking the openings. I also may install mesh behind the lower grill to protect the A/C condenser from rocks. I used eavstrough mesh on the anti-Prius and it worked well. It's soft steel expanded mesh painted black. Looks fine, and easy to install (cut to size and zip tie behind grill to the grill using black zip ties). It looks stock. Better than stock - it hides the "stuff" behind the grill.

My other concern is the traction control. As owners report it has been "calmed down" in its' aggressiveness, I'm hoping it will work out.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!!

hmm, a cargo net is standard in Canada so I'm not sure why you had to install it yourself.