1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Madgellan 360 Nav Mounting pics

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Widdletink, Mar 10, 2006.

1. Widdletink

Widdletink Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Hi All,

I got a question about my aftermarket Nav system and a couple of other things that I have on my car so I am posting pics here so that folks can see what I am talking about.

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not bad. If it were me I'd try to run the power cord behind the unit so it hangs down on the passenger side.

The edge guard is nice. I had that on my last car. And you're certainly making a statement there. Pretty good. :)

3. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a Magellan 700 and have moved it 3 times but still am not happy with the suction cup mounts. IMO, the flex arm is the least acceptable because the NAV bounces all over the place. I refuse to let it rest on the top of my MFD and scratch the heck out of the plastic. I have tried it high (just below the rearview mirror) and it blocks too much of the driver's view. I've also tried placing the Roadmate at the far left side of the windshield but didn't like it there.

I am currently using this Heavy Duty Windshield mount . It is a lot more rigid and the suction cup is a ViseGrip so the chances of it letting go are slim to none. The down side is that the arm isn't anywhere near as long as the flex one so the Roadmate is too far away to reach easly. But then that keeps me from screwing around with it while I'm driving. :)

I'm still looking as to how to mount the Roadmate between the center console and the cup holder. IMO, it's the best place for it since it would be out of the windshield area but still near enough to reach if needed. I'm not sure that using some kind of a mounting arm from the lower console trim panel would work. I don't think that trim panel is heavy enough to propely support the Roadmate attached to the end pf a rigid arm. Any ideas would be appreciated.

BTW, I've had my side windows tinted with V-Kool 75 (metallic) so I'm also going to put an external antenna on the GPS. I'm not sure its the tint but on some days sat receipti is marginal. I've already got the antenna but just need to decide if I want to sneak it under the top lip of the hatchback door (not metal), in the spoiler (again not metal), or buy one of the active Shark Fin antennas and slip it inside that. This later is the most ambitious because it means replacing the stock antenna base and that means getting under the headliner. :unsure:

Tom

4. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I had a similar mount in my old car (soon to be old car) I know what you mean by bouncing around. I bent the flex arm down so that it had a good deal of tension on the dash and then put a piece of foam rubber between the arm in the dash it reduced the vibration quite a bit. I will say be carefull leaving the suction mounts up when it is warm I went through 3 of them due to the suction cup coming off due to heat in the car in the summer. I think if I had been more prudent about taking it down when it was warm they would have lasted much longer... a pain none the less, but they do the job and your work looks pretty good.

5. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Questions and thoughts: Does the unit block your view of the warning light cluster on the dash? How is it secured?

I got a Garmin GPS295 and spent some time figuring out how to mount it in the car so that it could easily be removed. I went to a plastic fabricating place and had a strip of black plastic cut that fits across the upper portion of the dash, behind the steering wheel, and connects the two silver vertical vent openings. I secured it to the silver plastic using velcro with adhesive backing (so the black strip could be removed). I mounted my Garmin GPS holder onto the plastic strip, off to the left so that the unit doesn't block my view of the instrument/warning light cluster. The power cord runs up the dash and behind the black strip, almost invisible.

It's odd that most of the adhesive backed stuff won't stick to much of the plastic in the car. It won't stick to the black dash plastic nor to any of the door panel material.

How has the Magellan worked for you?

The image in photo three (from left) suggests that you could use a duster on your dash. I got one of those disposable foam paint brushes and it works well for removing lint and dust from the plastic.

6. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

#1. Because it is a little forward I have to make sure the placement is right. The main issue is blocking the A/C indicator on the display panel. I'd still like to mount it down in the area between the seat console and center (dash) console.

#2. I've been reasonable happy with the Roadmate. My project next week is to get the most recent updates. Through the summer there was not problem acquiring the signals but with the cloudy weather it takes some time and will occasionally drop out. That's why I'm putting an external antenna on the unit.

7. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Mar 11 2006, 05:22 PM) [snapback]223642[/snapback]</div>

And I was so pleased to find the Magellan GPS on sale at Costco. In my exitement I read the directions and much to my disappointment it is as is described in the above comments. Almost impossible to mount conveniently on our Priuses. So unless someone can talk me out of it, its being retuirned tomorrow.

Curious, has anyone chose to use it sitting unmounted and just sitting in the open glove box and just listen to the voice directions?

8. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Roger3125 @ Jun 10 2006, 07:51 PM) [snapback]269381[/snapback]</div>
    I have seen GPS mountings that will fit in the cup holder.

9. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mehrenst @ Jun 11 2006, 12:00 AM) [snapback]269415[/snapback]</div>
    The perfect arrangement for the Magellan. See photos, I hope to attach.

First I found the windshield mount worked very well except I could find a conveniet place to mount it as it either blocked a portion of the much need front view or becaue of the slant of the windshield it was out of reach. What to do, what to do....ahhhh lets try the ProClip approach.

I went to their wesite and couldn't find a mount for the Magellan so I emailed for advice. I was emailed and laer phoned by one fine gentleman that walked me through the best solution. Two part system all of which doesn not involve adhesive or holes in the dash. Part 1 a ProClip for the Prius and Part 2 a Dual-T attachment to hold the Magellan.

Attached Files:

10. Roger3125

Roger3125 New Member

....ahhhh lets try the ProClip approach.

I went to their wesite and couldn't find a mount for the Magellan so I emailed for advice. I was emailed and laer phoned by one fine gentleman that walked me through the best solution. Two part system all of which doesn not involve adhesive or holes in the dash. Part 1 a ProClip for the Prius and Part 2 a Dual-T attachment to hold the Magellan. [www.proclipusa.com]
    [/quote]

Sorry about that guys. Here is the info requested. I have the Magellan2000 (Costco now at $339). The screen is 3.5 not the smaller 2.1 California Vehicle code does not allow wildsheid mounts and that was my primary reason to seak out the ProClip approach. I've recent learned of another company, Panavise that offers a similar vehicle clip but I can't speak for them as I never dealt with them.

To answer the question of security I plan to simply lift it off the bracket and place in center console when not in service. I am playing with the idea of making a black fabric cover for it. It would then go unnoticed to any casual observer.

Any other questions I'd be happy to answer.