1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MAF Cleaning - Red Triangle of Death/Many Warning Lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sahuaprius, Jun 28, 2022.

1. sahuaprius

sahuaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone. Long time reader, first time poster.

When I was driving through Texas, the MAF code came up on my car. I took off the MAF sensor, cleaned it, put it back on, no problem, code went away. It started coming up routinely, so I bought a new one to replace the old one. Changed them out. Everything fine...for approximately 5 miles.

The AC cut out (I am in Tucson, AZ, so this is a thing I notice quickly). Within a few miles, most of the warning lights came on the dash including the red triangle. I did some reading and realized I maybe should have detached the 12V battery when I changed these out, so I did that and reattached the 12V battery after 10 minutes. Everything fine...for approximately 5 miles.

Same thing again. AC cut out, then within a few miles, all the warning lights and the red triangle. I was also getting bad gas mileage.

At this point, I switched the new MAFS for the old one, thinking, dang, at least with the old one I got 42mpg and all these lights didn't come on. Detached battery. Reattached battery.

Same thing again. AC cut out, then within a few miles, all the warning lights and the red triangle. I was also getting bad gas mileage.

So, I vacuumed the air filter/air filter housing, thinking some dust easily could have gotten in while I was changing things. I cleaned the MAF sensor again. I have not yet started my car this morning.

Very curious what Prius Chat people think and what recommendations are available. All the warning light issues kicked off with the MAF sensor change.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You most likely don’t have a Maf sensor issue, you might have a failed inverter pump and the car is getting hot that’s why the AC is cutting out

#2 JC91006, Jun 28, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2022
    SFO likes this.
  3. sahuaprius

sahuaprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I kind of thought same and was curious if it just happens to be coincidence that changing the sensor would happen right around the same time as all that. Any thoughts?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well if you can get access to a Prius compatible code reader, you can read the codes and verify what codes are present. The inverter pump failure code is P0A93

SFO likes this.