1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

MAF Sensor cleaning goes awry - please help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tarawow, Apr 4, 2012.

1. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Here's my situation: since I am due soon for my 90,000 mile service on my '05 Prius, and since during my last two maintenance visits the service dealer recommended throttle bottle cleaning and MAF sensor cleaning (at $179+), I thought I would beat the dealer to it and do this myself myself. So to be clear, no performance problems going into this, just trying to pre-empt the dealer recommendation and save myself a little $$.

Using a combo of Bob Wilson's and Hobbit's instructions, this afternoon I removed the MAF sensor, very gently cleaned the sensor with CRC MAF cleaner and allowed it to dry, cleaned the throttle using CRC Throttle body cleaner, and replaced the sensor. Now when I turn on the car, the check engine light is on and I'm getting a bigtime engine shudder.

I went back and did a cursory check of everything, and it all looks good. I'm gearing up to go back in and redo all of my steps (except for the actual spraying of cleaning fluid). Any idea what I should be looking for, or what may have gone wrong?

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

-Tarawow

2. tarawow

tarawow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: went back and checked the screws on the housing for MAF sensor, gave each another turn and a half, and the problem appears to be solved (both the light disappeared and the shudder is gone). The moral of the story is make sure you tighten those screws enough! Lesson learned.

1 person likes this.
  3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Glad you fixed it, and even more glad you posted up, you're sure to not be the last this happens to.

Welcome to PriusChat as a poster.