1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maglev turbine

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Godiva, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Its not just the wearing out of the bearings - the drag from the bearings is pretty significant in a vertical windmill. I helped to design and build one for my senior project many years ago and one of the biggest problems (and expense) was getting low friction bearings for it. Our windmill didn't work, but we still got an "A" because we wrote a good report explaining why it didn't work.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's pretty cool.

Not as cool as the new MacBook Button I ordered, but close.

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Having some experience in small scale wind,,, I will remain politely skeptical UNTIL they have an number of units in real world service, with some meaningful output and reliability numbers to go along with the hype and vapor ware.

Icarus

PS I support and applaud the efforts of these start ups,,, but no RE system has been over hyped and under performed than small scale wind. There are a very few systems that homeowner types have installed, and been happy with after a number of years. The reality is that people over estimate the amount of wind they really have, manufacturers over estimate the output of their machines, and the fact that these machines live in harsh environments, and have tons of live loads makes them historically not very reliable. Mag lev would be a great step forward in this regard, but VATs have to over come many other efficiency issues. You can make a case for inefficient hardware if the cost is such that you can just install more to make up for it. In the case of VATs they haven't crossed that barrier yet.

5. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Magnetic bearings finally work? This is gonna change a few things.

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I want one.

Whatever Begley is getting would probably be fine for me.