1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Magnetic Oil drain plug?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by silentak1, Jul 29, 2005.

1. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Plug #1040M

&

Solid copper gasket 12mm 2503

Alex

2. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    These fit on the 05 Prius? I've been looking for them.

Question, on that website, there are different types of gaskets (aluminum, copper, copper crush, fibre, nylon, rubber, rubber metal). What's the difference if I use one type vs. the other?

THANKS! :D

3. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd recommend the FULL copper or Aluminum. Nothing else.

4. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What I worry about is the corrosion cause by dissimilar metal rubbing together. Let say the metal of the drain plug, gasket, and the oil pan are not the same, this might cause corrosion on the contacting surfaces. Anybody know what kind of metal the oil pan is made of?

5. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

6. Old n Bold

Old n Bold New Member

You can confirm this by placing a small magnet near the drain plug. If it sticks, it's steel.

7. bobc

bobc New Member

FWIW,

I put a magneitc drain plug on my car at the first oil change. Just replced the second batch of oil and there was nothing on the magnet...

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh really... anybody else has experienced with the magnet drain plug? I wonder if I should get it now...

9. DCDura

DCDura Junior Member

I bought a small rare earth magnet-very strong-to fit perfectly onto the top of oil filter. Theory was it is better to trap any metal pieces in there. Don't know if it works.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Holy Crap!! That's me! I wrote them months ago when this thread came up for the 100th time!

When, exactly, do the royalty checks start coming?!

12. craigcush

craigcush Member

I like this quote from Tom and Ray (click and clack),

> Tom: First of all, not much stuff gets shaved off the engine components. If you see a lot of metal shavings in your oil, it's time to trade in your car.<

And my point, a lot of parts are aluminum and alloys, not magnetic, save for the ring surfaces, oil pump and driven gears, etc. Those are still floating around in micron form if not stuck in the filter.

I would advise against the rare earth magnet on the filter. I have seen this long ago in air cooled engines like early VW and motorcycles. If something knocks it off you just released its collection of fines. Engines were not as clean 30 years ago and I only saw fines on a mag/plug on these engines when, as stated by the pro's above, it was time to give the motor last rites.

Gasket; Just use what comes with the toyota filter, no corrosion with either metal. The stock filter is better than most and there is no argument if there are warranty issues. There is a great thread here that links to a filter comparison.

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

Good. I just wanted to make sure it was you before we started calling you a 'car maintenance priss" :D

14. craigcush

craigcush Member

How funny!!

Do you think it'll stick?

:rolleyes:

Fame but no fortune....

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I don't know Evan personally, but a fellow named Phil that I know speaks of him in high regard, and based on what I see here at PriusChat I hold him in high regard too, so a little ribbing about being a priss is in my circle of influence, especially since we both have Seaside Blue, I am a car wash/Zaino priss, and priss is only one letter off from Prius. I think Evan chose the word priss based on the latter. Evan is my my favorite priss driver. Click and Clack are his fans too. :)

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a very sensitive priss and I don't take well to teasing or else I start to cry and feel unloved..... :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, I didn't remember using that descripter of myself until I read the letter...seeing it nationally syndicated I wish I'd have use a bit more sophisticated wording.... Ah well, at the time I thought Click and Clack would like it...guess they did!

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    how about that? evan's letter made it to click and clack :)

as far as the magnetic plug goes... well there's already a magnet in the oilpan. do we really need to go any further on this?

18. Jaguar88

Jaguar88 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Evan

Did you install the magnetic drain plug or not?

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, I guess if someone gave one to me for free I'd do it, but I'm not going to any trouble to get one.

20. craigcush

craigcush Member

Only to note Evan's celebrity status!

And to rib him a bit..... ;)

My daughter thinks thats what we should call our car. Priss...I kinda like it.

aaahh...... Now she read it wrong and thinks it is "prissy", hmmmm..

It is refreshing to have posts with a positive spin without gun emoticons and "you guys are all alike" - I'm right, your a **** - Toyota is evil, mentality.

Now we just have to get him on the air with click and clack. Or the Mileage Marathon guys! Yeah, yeah, that's it! I feel an agents commission in the air.....10% right?

Right ! ;)