1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Main Battery Electrical harness severed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by CraigCSJ, May 27, 2009.

1. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    A friend of mine was traveling on a highway, heard a thump under the 2008 Prius, and all the red lights came on the dash. The Prius slowed down, only going 18 mph up a mountainous road, until it got home about ten miles after the red lights.

The Prius was towed to a Toyota Dealer, who reported that the electrical harness from the main battery was severed. The harness is shielded by what seems to be a light colored piece of thin plastic under the drivers side of the car, going from the main battery to the engine compartment. The Dealer said it would cost about $2,000 to replace the harness, and the damage was not covered by any warranty.

My friend thinks the shield may be a design defect in that it appears to be thin plastic, whereas it should be metal, or something that would prevent what happened. My friend told her insurance company about this, and they told the Dealer not to work on the car until they sent someone to inspect the damage.

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Any thoughts on how my friend should proceed?

2. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    likely not covered under warranty, but insurance just bought my friend a new engine for her volvo after her daughter ran it onto a high curb

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First report I've ever heard. And if that cord should be better shielded then every drive shaft and fuel line on every car ever build should be better shielded. Have you and your friend actually looked under the car or your car? Where was this? What did your friend hit to do this and don't you think your friend has some responsibility for avoiding hitting an object large and dangerous enough to severe a cable like that?

FWIW, I'd love to see some photos of this damage.

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

To trigger a GFI fault, the plastic cover, outer jacket, shield wire braid, and inner insulation need to be cut through. It was probably some sheet metal debri that the driver failed to avoid, that was run over by the left front tires. The sheet metal was probably spit out and cut through all those things, resulting in a low insulation resistance. Which the GFI in the car detected, and disconnected the HV battery.

Have your friend have the tires checked for deep slits, that may be invisible unless pulled apart.

5. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have you and your friend actually looked under the car or your car? Where was this? What did your friend hit to do this and don't you think your friend has some responsibility for avoiding hitting an object large and dangerous enough to severe a cable like that?

FWIW, I'd love to see some photos of this damage.[/quote]

Response:
    My friend took no photos, but looked at the damage when the car was up on a rack. The friend says the severence took place in the area towards the back end of the shielding, where the shielding stops and the harness goes up into the battery.

The friend was going about 65 mph during darkness, and thought something was on the road just before the thump. No time to do anything.

6. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Have your friend try getting salvaged parts. There should be plenty of these available as they are not likely to be stuck during the sort of front/rear collisions that seem to total a Prius.

As an alternative: dealer markups on parts are pretty substantial, try ordering parts direct from one of the Toyota dealerships. He might even use such a parts price list as leverage with the local dealer--they can cut out much of the markup to make the sale, it is still profitable for them.

But it sounds like it is best to let the insurance handle it. He will take the hit for the deductible and the insurance will cover the rest.

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    You could certainly call Toyota 800-331-4331 and offer to fax them photos. Maybe they'll make a better deal. I'm sure somebody in Japan wants to see the photos.

As suggested a salvage vehicle harness should be much less expensive. Inclined to doubt that it would be difficult to install. Also doubt that a regular Toyota shop would put it in. There are a large number of skilled Prius owners in SoCal (one now stranded in Ariz :) who might lend you a hand .

I'd call it a very unusual bit of bad luck. Please let us know the resolution.

8. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    No, it is not a design defect for shields, trays, and conduits of high voltage wires to be plastic instead of metal. Metal conducts, plastic insulates, so this is quite rational.

Sounds like the right approach. Notify the insurance company and have the dealer examine the damage.