1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Main Battery Failure - 07 103k - Cert. used car. - Fair treatment?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdjoe_97, Sep 14, 2012.

1. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have the dreaded triangle of death, took car to the closest dealer. They diagnosed same day, main battery has short. Original estimate for repair is $4382.74 incl. tax. I called Toyota customer care, heard back today, area rep. is helping $500, Toyota is kicking in $2500. Leaving $1382.74 out of my pocket. I am happy about that....but. I then call my next nearest dealer to compair part pricing on the battery, and find $1000 less after you figure in the tax savings as well. So now I call back Toyota and ask if the part pricing is in line with the dealer who has the car. They state, "the offer only stands at the dealer who has the car".

What do you all think? I am thinking if I would have drove into a different dealer, I would potentially have $1000 LESS out of pocket. Toyota says I will get no assistance if I go to the other dealer. I said, I have no issue paying the current guy a fair price, BUT he is gouging me on the battery price. Anyone have experience on this, or phone numbers to take matter higher?

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Did they provide any error codes (DTCes) to help prove that it's the HV battery?

I'm little confused.... so w/the other dealer, if you'd get no assistance, how much would you have to pay, out of pocket?

$1382.74 in total for a new HV battery and all parts and labor sounds pretty good considering prices like FAQ for a non-new one.

[email protected] likes this.
  3. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    jdjoe_97,

I would say the deal for only $1,382.74 sounds like a fair price with the assistance in this case for a new HV battery, but after that job is done with this dealer I would either use the 2nd dealer for any further work or shop around before you have anything done in the future. I can't remember the dealer parts guy that has been on our site, but he's in Ohio I think. He has great prices on factory parts & somebody else may remember who he is & provide a link. His price for a new HV battery is around $1,600 to $1,700 I think, but then there is the shipping cost & the labor for installation to include, but that should be way less than the $4,382.74 your repairing dealer originally wanted. Back in 2004 & 2005 when the 2G Priuses were new, we heard that the HV batteries had a retail price of around $4,000. Some dealers think they can still charge that same price, but at other dealers the going rate seems to average around $2,000 to $2,500 now for the battery only & then there's the guy in Ohio at about $1,600 to $1,700.

The assistance of $500 & $2,500 you are being offered is probably due to the fact you bought a certified used car that shouldn't have had a failure so soon since the certification process & maybe the other discount of the two is Toyota's good will gesture. Either way, shop around next time (at least for your parts).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles. How many miles on car?

5. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you having it repaired at the same dealer that certified it and sold it to you?

6. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    103900 miles on the car. I bought the car 400 miles away in Ohio ( I am in Indiana) as I looked high and low for the best Cert. car I could find. Again, I do feel the assistance is fair as far as the dollar amount....but seems to me IF I would have turned in at the other dealers lot... I would have only had $382.00 out of pocket. The price difference for the battery ONLY is $2583 vs. $3600 that is the ONLY part I am upset with. The servicing dealer is trying to get 140% of MSRP for the battery. I am arguing with Toyota... I don't care who fixed the car.. but why would I pay more than MSRP for the battery and why are they supporting the dealer trying to do so?

To add Dealer #1 ( who has the car now) - est was $4382.74 inc. tax
    Dealer #2 (cold call didn't know circumstances) - est is $3382.00 almost exactly $1000 less

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    have you tried calling the dealer who certified the car and see if they will pitch in? or maybe come get the car and fix it for you under warranty.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like a very good deal. i think if you had gone to the cheaper dealer first, toyota would have only thrown in $1500. because that dealer was already discounting the battery.

9. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    John Hatchett - No, I will give it a whirl... also planned on calling 3 or 4 other dealers and get battery price / repair estimates as well to support my point of view with Toyota.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just to verify, they are offering a new battery, installed, for $1382? If so: that is one hell of a good deal, undercuts ReinVolt for rebuilt with core charge.

11. backspinnn

backspinnn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 06 failed at 102.4k and Toyota picked up half. I paid about $1600 for a $3100 battery with a 1 year warranty. Yes, I will probably sell it.

12. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Give the dealer who certified the car and sold it to you the chance to make things good. Dealers want happy customers, but you have to give them the chance to make you happy.

If you stay with the dealer where the car is now, ask them if they can offer something extra in lieu of the $1000, maybe a 100,000 mile transferable warranty on the new battery.

13. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Called selling dealer... they quoted $3205.00 incl. tax... Will speak to Toyota on Monday about moving the car to another dealer and taking the $2500 assistance to a reasonable dealer.

@ Ct. Ken V. - in hind sight, sure wish I would have shopped for parts pricing. But I had no idea what was wrong until it was diagnosed at the dealership.

14. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is you will find that your net out-of-pocket price of $1,400 will not improve. Your first post indicates you have already asked Toyota about the possibility of having your car repaired elsewhere.

Answering the question embedded in your subject line, a net price of $1,400 is fair treatment. You're asking for a lot if you expect to get a new traction battery installed for $400.

usnavystgc likes this.
  15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I agree that $1400 installed for a new battery is a good deal. But in the context of jdjoe being only 3k miles out of warranty I can see why he might be expecting to get as good of a deal as possible.

BTW jdjoe. How sudden was your battery failure. Did you notice any driveability issues or declining performance in the weeks or months leading up to this? What about state of charge anomalies, rapid swings in battery charge.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  16. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Failure was abrupt, I drive the car normal (not for best mileage) and was still getting 47.5 - 49 MPG average right up to failure. In hind sight now, yes I did notice drop in state of charge overnight for about three months leading up to the failure. I had thought this was due to my drive home , typically last 3/4 mile I normally tried to make it on battery alone. Never really paid close attention to the state of charge when shutting it off, vs. the state of start in the morning when leaving for work. I did however notice, when I hit my first turn where I took the car up to 55 MPH and found only the power of the gas available, which had not always been the case in months prior. Oh how hindsight is so crystal clear, battery was likely beginning to fail from 95K on to failure at 103k.

17. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder what would happen if you trailer the car to a California dealer where the battery warranty is 150,000 miles, regardless of where it was purchased. Maybe that is only for the Plug-In though.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok so the main thing you noticed was that you'd lose your charge rapidly when you started out in the morning. What did it typically drop down to, was it like only one or two bars (red)? Also did you ever figure out if it was actually losing charge overnight or if it was just losing it rapidly once you started driving. People who complain of low battery charge at start up often have difficulty distinguishing exactly when it is lost.

Anyway, good luck with the new battery and I hope Toyota come through for you with picking up a good part of the cost.:)

19. jdjoe_97

jdjoe_97 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dropped to last bar, purple on the scale, then within 5 miles or so was normal state a a bar or two from full.

20. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok, thanks for the info. :)

A lot of people report this type of thing. I think it can happen for batteries even in relatively good condition, but gets a lot worse if the battery is on it's way out. The Prius tries hard to use the engine as little as possible in the first minute or so while it's cold, and so draws heavily on the electric power even when the ICE is running. This seems to be a particular problem if you have to climb a hill or accelerate reasonably briskly in the first minute or so.

When I noticed my Prius doing this I began the practice of letting the car warm up in "P" for about 45 seconds from cold starts. This seems to have markedly improved how well the charge holds up in the first few minutes and it seems to have actually increased my overall MPG (it certainly hasn't hurt it). So far my battery seems to be holding on alright, even though I believe it's displayed some early signs of weakness, so I'm definitely keeping my eye on it.

HaroldW likes this.