1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Main reason for buying a Prius?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by softhands, May 2, 2007.

1. softhands

softhands New Member

Just curious, but what was the main consideration for buying a Prius? Was it the environment or your wallet? If it was the environment then what else do you do?

Just curious because even though I don't drive a Prius I still feel like I'm doing my part, I drive a Honda Civic and get over 40 mpg. But beyond that I try to conserve where I can. To that point though, I just discovered theres a relatively new company to buy power from here in Ontario. It's called Bullfrog Power. The power you purchase comes from renewable clean sources (ie Wind, low impact hydro). The company is independently audited by a third party as well. I think im going to(when I buy my own house) choose to get my power from them.

For those in Ontario, id really suggest checking out the website and think about switching. Sure you pay a premium, but that premium is to encourage wider use.

For those outside, is there something similar?

2. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

For me, it was a matter of social responsibility- using less oil, and decreasing emissions into the atmosphere. Plus, the technology is cool. The money I save on gas is an added benefit.
    We also have a green power provider where I live in New England (People's Power & Light). I pay extra for my electric each month (what I save on gas far offsets that) to obtain it from renewable resources. Of course, you can't determine where your electricity actually originates (everything goes into and out from the grid), but it enables green power to be produced to offset your own use.

3. softhands

softhands New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 2 2007, 01:40 PM) [snapback]434080[/snapback]</div>

Yeah I think it's the same with Bullfrog. You don't know exactly where you get your power from, but it is verified that it is renewable. Good news for Bullfrog, and I guess everyone is that as the demand increases, they will purchase more renewable power from private companies and people or build there own. They built wind farms in September 2006, and again in February 2007 because demand keeps growing.

Hopefully more people jump on this, and realize that you can offset the cost by simply conserving more.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I first saw one in 2004 at an environmental show. I liked the concept of it being a hybrid (built from the ground up to be that) and wanted to get one.

5. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Can't be one exclusively.
    If it was strictly money, a cheapo econobox is a better buy.
    If it was strictly environmental, a bike would suffice.

I'd have to say the main reason I chose a Prius back in early 05, was to speak with my dollars to support and hasten the inevitable move towards greater efficiency. When/if GM comes out with the Volt, I will speak again. And in the back of my mind I feel a lot better prepared for 4 or 5 dollar a gallon gas.

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softhands @ May 2 2007, 01:51 PM) [snapback]434085[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly. I pay an additional 2.4 cents per kWh for 100% of my electricity usage (they also give you the option to offset 50%). That increases my electric bill about 15%. However, by taking simple measures such as using CFLs instead of incadescent bulbs, eliminating "phantom" power drains, using less hot water, etc.; I've been able to offset the cost.

7. Boucher187

Boucher187 New Member

The reason that I bought my Prius was I saw one on the movie THE LAST KISS. It was a black probably 2006 model. I looked online and saw a silver 2005 for 22,000 then over the next week I saw the price drop to 20,000. I went to the dealer the next day and offered 17,000. He made the deal and all was done. I guess it was a good deal (Since the sticker is 24,000).
    I also like to help the environment not and contribute to this site. Also help the environment!! :)

8. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always been a pretty environmentally aware person, raised that way and it has stuck. However if it wasn't for the HOV access I'd still be driving my Acura and using almost twice the fuel that my Prius uses (actual numbers; Acura=23mpg, Prius 45.3mpg).

9. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Wife and I were shopping for a Camry. Probably an XLE with the 4 cylinder engine. We saw the Prius, I got in because I was curious. I was immediately impressed with the interior, even more than the interior of the XLE Camry. We took it for a test drive (wife drove first, then me, it's her car to commute to work in when she starts working for Microsoft later this year).

I was impressed that the yearly estimated gas cost was half that of the Camry, according to the dealer stickers. I liked the rear hatch more than a trunk. I liked the style.

We bought it because it's the smartest car to own and drive on the road today.

Dave

10. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I bought the Prius because there was no full-featured EV on the market when we needed a second car. For me it was a large step *backwards* in environmental damange, yet still the best vehicle available at the time.

What else do I do?
    Most miles I travel are by bike.
    Second most miles I travel are by electric vehicle.
    Third most are in the Prius.
    I grow the power for my house and my EV on the roof of my garage (via PV).
    I take the neighbor kids to school on their bikes so their parents won't drive them in the SUV.
    I invest in local farmers.
    I grow much of my own food.
    I think about what I buy and the packaging that comes along with it.
    I make much of my own beer, and buy the rest locally.
    ... It would take me days to fill in the list. I don't do everything I could/should. But I try and do something more every day.

11. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 2 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]434157[/snapback]</div>
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but if you can suggest any good websites for info on home brewing, I would appreciate it! I'd like to give it a try. :)

12. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 2 2007, 12:26 PM) [snapback]434157[/snapback]</div>
    You're an enviro-stud, Darell! No, seriously, that is a great list. :)

13. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It was a combination of gas savings (which I feel offset my car note), liking the car and technology, enviromental issues, and getting back in a dependable Japanese car.

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ May 2 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]434188[/snapback]</div>
    I need a T-shirt! Maybe hemp? :D

15. chogan

chogan New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softhands @ May 2 2007, 12:32 PM) [snapback]434073[/snapback]</div>
    For me, there was no "or" in the decision. Almost all our driving is city (suburban) driving. The Prius was at the lower limit of size that I found acceptable for our family. Every other car we'd consider at that time ('05) burned so much more gas in the city (e.g., 16 mpg in a Taurus or a Camry) that, in the long run (10 year horizon), the Prius was by a longshot the cheapest acceptable new car we could buy, in terms of total cost of ownership. And yes, I wanted the enviro advantages, in a major way.

But the Prius was the camel's nose under the tent flap for me. Prompted largely by what I've read in Priuschat, I've been walking through what is looking like the standard drill for the environmentally conerned middle class citizen. Opted for green power (same type of deal in this thread), altered my family's diet, replacing worn-out appliances with high-efficiency ones, and so on. Just waiting for one of the big automakers to market an EV at a reasonable price. A couple of items that don't get much respect: Bought a plug-in lawn mower - its wonderful, beats the heck out of maintaining and using a gas mower. And I enjoy my local thrift shops. Four bucks buys me the nicest Hawaiian shirt on the rack, no new materials used.

I'm wandering. Cost savings *and* environmental benefits, in my case.

16. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you work for Bullfrog?

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chogan @ May 2 2007, 03:00 PM) [snapback]434285[/snapback]</div>
    In the long run, saving the environment will cost EVERYBODY less. Many just can't see that yet, unfortunately.

18. kdk84

kdk84 New Member

i'll admit the major factors that drew me to the car was the high mpg (money factor) and all the cool technological features and random storage (geek factor). But with the state of our country and the direction it is headed, I feel good about driving it for it's environmental and domestic security (less foreign oil) issues as well.

19. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Both for sure. I do most of the low hanging fruit things: recycle, all CFL bulb house, low electricity use age (300-600 kWh/mo, varies with the season). I'm trying to eat less beef... struggling with that one. I have a garden. Our next house will have PV and solar water heating. I recycle for my brother (since his condo doesn't seem to have it) and I got my parents to start recycling (they got a Prius too!). We buy as much electricity through the Wind source program (offered by our utility) as they'll sell us. I brew my own beer too! In Colorado you have no excuse not to buy local beers. ;)

20. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope that I will also save a little money in the long run. By saving money I mean getting past the part where I break even with a comparable vehicle (avg mid-size car costs about $22k and gets 21 MPG). That means I need to save around $4k per Prius which we are about halfway there.

We also will have a 6KW PV system and a 80-gal solar water system installed and recycle everything the local recyclers will take. However, if I tried what Darell does and grow my own food we would probably starve. :p

I am not sure about the plug in mower yet (maybe when the current one breaks down). I still have nightmares about the plug in mower my dad used to make me use in the 80's. I had to drag around a 100' extension cord. :p It took me 3 days to mow our lawn.