1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maint Req’d light on, 3500 miles since oil chg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by happypriusowner77, Jun 21, 2018.

1. happypriusowner77

happypriusowner77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I had the oil changed in my 2007 approximately 3500 miles ago. The light was reset at that time. Yesterday, the Maintenance Required light came back on and has stayed on, even though it has not been 5,000 miles of driving yet.

Without missing work, which I really cannot afford to do, soonest I can get it in to the Toyota Service department would be Saturday. It’s Thursday evening now I have no choice but to drive it another 30 miles round trip to work tomorrow.

The car is running fine, oil level is fine and oil is relatively fresh- no noticeable issues other than the Maint Req’d light popping on.

I have done a little reading but have seen nothing in regard to this particular issue. My question is- if this dash light comes on every 5000 miles, what possible reasons would mine be alerting at 3500(ish)?

Am I in danger of causing a problem if I drive it to work tomorrow? I bought the car used in 2013 and routine maintenance has been performed at the dealership (maybe not always exactly on schedule, more like when my finances allow-) and I have not had any weird issues with the car until now.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the light gets spit out by the computer every 5k after a reset. it has absolutely nothing to do with the condition of your car or any maintenance needs, there are no sensors or anything like that.
    not sure why it came on at 3500, but i wouldn't change the oil until 5k. you can reset the light, directions in the owners manual, but then it shouldn't come on for another 5k, which won't be helpful.

3. happypriusowner77

happypriusowner77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay. Thank you. (y)

4. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What Bisco said.....Don't worry about it....

WilDavis likes this.
  5. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    …there it is on p. 365 of the Destruction Manual:
    - Resetting the engine oil maintenance data (U.S.A. only)

6. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has it been six months since your last oil change? The service interval is six months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.