1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maint. Req, light -- can I "fool it."

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by cyberpriusII, Nov 2, 2019.

1. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always counted on the Prius Maint. Req. Light telling me when to change the oil on the Prius. The Subaru rig, I keep track of on my calendar -- none of us ever get close to changing oil based on miles driven.

So, I know the Prius has to be close to needing an oil change. I THINK I changed it in May. Might have been June, but I am betting on Mid-May.

I would rather change it in the next day or two while the weather is good before rain settles in. But, not sure about the reminder light. If it is only off by a week or so, no big deal. So, next time I change it a week or two off.

But, it may be off by a month or two....any way to fiddle with the light and make it "know" that I changed it today, even if it is NOT on at the moment?

I guess, now that I have written this, I should just add the Prius to the calendar and quit paying attention to the light -- in that case, any way to disable it forever. :D:D:D

#1 cyberpriusII, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You can reset it anytime you like AFAIK.

Obviously it only makes sense to reset at the same time you actually perform the maintenance but you don’t need to wait for it to trip.

jerrymildred and cyberpriusII like this.
  3. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, O.K. So, it is not on, but I go ahead and go through the whole reset process and it will act like it was on and then reset?

Cool!!

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That’s how I understand it, yes.

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hope your feeling better!

Kris why not changing it by the miles? Just write down the miles in your phone notes.

And are you feeling good enough to crawl around under the car? That kills me. Get a big piece of foam to lay on really helps be nice to your body. Its been through alot.

7. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I changed the Prius last spring...----May or June? --- it was a little dicey, I suppose. I did O.K. until the very end.

Trying to put the new oil filter on, my hand was shaking so much, I could not get it aligned with the threads. I guess I had drained all my strength reserves along with the oil.

So, waited an hour and went back out and if anything, I was shaking even more.-- most likely because I was WORRIED about shaking.

Finally managed to get it engaged and tightened down. I was afraid I would not get it tight enough, but no leaks.

I changed the oil on our Subaru in August. That was dead simple. Easy to slide under and the oil filter is at the top of the engine.

Use Fumoto drain valves on all the cars -- so that makes it extra easy (had my mechanic do the first oil change on the Subaru and he put the oil drain valve on it at that time).

edthefox5 likes this.
  8. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also have a Fumoto valve on my Gen III Prius. It works well.

9. cyberpriusII

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone wants to take the plunge -- 15 percent is a very uncommon discount for Fumoto. Indeed, it is a bit difficult to find any discounts from them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The SEMA Show is the premier automotive specialty products trade event in the world. And we are there now!

To celebrate with us take 15% off your next purchase at our web store and get free domestic shipping for orders over $25.

It's your last chance for 15% off!

Use SEMA for 15% off all purchases

till midnight tonight, November 8.*

Shop the SEMA Sale
    *Promo code cannot be combined with other offers.

Questions? Let us know by replying to this email.

We'll get back to you ASAP.

10. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the info. Too bad I just bought Fumoto valve for my wife's Pathfinder and installed it. I don't have it on my PRIME, this maybe the chance.