1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maint. Req'd. Light - Oil Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Firefighter, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Firefighter

Firefighter New Member

Contrary to my previous posts, I never got to changing my oil prior to the first 5,000 miles. So, at exactly 5,000 miles the Maint. Req'd. light came on (surprise, surprise :rolleyes:) . So at 5,028 I changed the oil and filter. But the Maint. Req'd. light did not go off. Is this like many American cars where in order to get the "service engine Light" to go off you have to smash the dash board with a baseball bat or put a piece of duct tape over it???????????? What's the story???????? Ed

2. shocker

shocker Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its really simple and easy. I have had to do it numerous times even after the dealer has changed my oil. I forgot the sequence or which button to push but I know that it is archived somewhere on this site. I would suggest you do a search.

3. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

You start out with the odometer showing mileage ( not Trip A or B ). With the system powered off, you push and hold the Odo/Trip button --- Keep your foot off the brake!! - You do not want to go Ready) Continue holding as you press the Power Button 2 times. While holding down the Odo/Trip button the odometer has dashes that count down,then switches back to your odometer reading. The Maintenance light will also go out ( if it was on before )

4. Firefighter

Firefighter New Member

Thanks for the information. The process is sort of dumb actually; like "jump up and down 3 times on one leg, spin around, sit down and do not pass go or collect $ 200". Why not just a hidden, hard to get to reset button? Ed

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    That would be too easy! This is a computerized car!

Actually, the procedure is detailed in your manual, which I'm sure you have already read a few times... or look in the index.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

7. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FieroGT @ Aug 27 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]310266[/snapback]</div>
    Get used to it. :) Toyota is the master of the green candle dance. They have all sorts of procedures like this one for various arcane state changes and diagnostics. My old V-6 Camry had even more such procedures (at least ones that might be employed by the end user). For example, the Camry's door lock system had fully four or five different modes of operation, set by one of these "dances." Something like wait for a full moon on Tuesday, turn key on with brake depressed, lock and unlock the doors seven times within 15 seconds, while chanting "I hate Nissan, I hate Nissan...". Obviously, I'm exaggerating about some of that (just having some fabricational fun...), but you get the idea. ;)

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FieroGT @ Aug 27 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]310266[/snapback]</div>
    Since this is a computerized car, with a really swell built in input device, how about a screen where the user could just select the options he or she wants? Back up beep, on, off. Clear Maint. Light etc etc etc. These are the deep questions that seperates the grand master prius user from the novice. What exactly is the sound of one hand clapping?

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FieroGT @ Aug 27 2006, 03:57 PM) [snapback]310266[/snapback]</div>
    Remember, the spin is counter-clockwise.

It "would be bad" if you did it in the other direction.

10. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 28 2006, 09:39 AM) [snapback]310582[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, I've thought of that too. Maybe part of the Setup screen; just add another page.

It's interesting how close the "turn off Maint. Req'd Light" sequence is to the "turn off reverse beep" sequence.

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I took my car in before the 5000 mile mark (I crossed the threshold while on vacation), and the light never went off. So I assume they reset it, and it has a 5000 mile counter? (rather than check for 5K, 10K, 15K, etc. directly). Does anybody know if that's the case?

Also, I need to track down my avatar, looks like he decided to go on vacation too.

12. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 28 2006, 11:25 AM) [snapback]310641[/snapback]</div>
    Under normal operations, you'll first see the light 4,500 miles after the last reset. At first it'll be for a brief time at startup; getting longer until it's steady at 5,000 miles. If you were to change your oil early, like at 3,000 miles, you'd still see the light (starting at 4,500 miles) if you didn't reset. If you did, you'd start seeing it about 7,500 miles; becoming steady at 8,000.

13. marjam

marjam Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hdrygas @ Aug 28 2006, 12:39 PM) [snapback]310582[/snapback]</div>
    My thought also! Are you listening Toyota! With the dealer Scan Tool you can change all kinds of settings including how long the interior lights stay on after sutting down the car to special default settings for the Climate Control system to alarm with or without horn.
    Why should we waste the dealer's time doing this? Also, the changes I have made will go back to the original settings when the 12V battery is disconnected and I will have to bother the dealer again. Give us a Driver Preference Screen!​