1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"Maint Reqd" warning light question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoosPrius, Jun 7, 2006.

1. BoosPrius

BoosPrius New Member

the manual says this warning light means the oil needs to be replaced. Does that simply mean that the computer has kept track of the number of miles since the last oil change, and a new one is now due, or does it mean there is something wrong with the oil, such as contaminants, etc.? Thanx.

Gary

2. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BayouBulldog @ Jun 7 2006, 10:08 PM) [snapback]267646[/snapback]</div>
    I saw mine for the first time today and pulled out the owners manual to see what it meant. I had the same question. I suspect it is just a reminder that it is time for the oil change, as it has been just under 5000 miles since my last one. I sure hope its nothing more. Sorry I could not answer your question.

3. CinciPrius

CinciPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catsbox @ Jun 7 2006, 10:22 PM) [snapback]267657[/snapback]</div>
    It's based on your mileage.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    See this post.

The Maint Reqd light is simply a reminder light that is supposed to be manually reset every time the oil is changed. The owner's manual details the exact function of the light and how to reset it.

5. wrprice

wrprice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Additional info: the check engine icon is the one that indicates a problem, vs. the "Maint Req" reminder light.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good point. Many have confused the two in the past.