1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance at 100,000 Miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevemcelroy, Jun 11, 2013.

1. stevemcelroy

stevemcelroy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey all. I'll soon be moving out to Boulder, CO (from Philly) and driving my Prius out. Right now I have close to 95,000 miles and will be at about 98,000 when we leave in late July. I'm figuring at I should have some preventative maintenance done before leaving as the car will likely hit 100,000 miles on the trip. So far I have followed the maintenance book in the car, but other than inspecting at various intervals all that I have done is replace consumables (tires, oil, wipers, air filters). I'd love to have a handle on just what I should do before leaving so I can be an educated consumer.

I need to hit up the local dealership for the water pump and steering recall, but then I'll have the rest done at a local independent shop that does a fair bit of Prius business. From the research that I have done this is what is on the list so far-

Replace brake fluid
    Clean throttle body
    Replace serpentine belt
    Clean and adjust rear brakes
    Replace spark plugs
    Replace engine and inverter coolant
    Replace transaxle fluid
    Replace air filters (will do myself)

Is there anything else that I should do?

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am no expert, but you might consider the struts and shocks in the near future if you have not already changed those. The list above is pretty much complete. FWIW, the transaxle fluid should be changed every 60K. Some recommend changing at 30K, then every 60K after that. Toyota claims it is lifetime, but it seems that it is a good idea to drain and refill. Flushes are not necessary.

Good luck with your move and change of local. Denver is a beautiful place.

Ron

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the maintenance sub forum.

4. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You may not need the brake fluid flushed. Many people have reported no degredation in the fluid at that age and mileage. I would do everything else you listed, though! Good luck with the move....