1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance at 168,000 miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mikeg1, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mikeg1

mikeg1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The only maintenance I've had on my 2005 Prius, 168,000 miles, has been tires, oil changes and water pump (besides recent "antifreeze" recall). Should I be concerned about any impending failures, based on other's experiences? 12V battery seems OK, and don't want to spend big bucks to replace. Ditto for brakes. Mileage dropped off this winter to high 30's, but has since recovered to mid-40's.

1 person likes this.
  2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Change the Transmission Fluid (Toyota Type WS). Your Dealer should charge about $100.

The only failure I've had was the upper steering column assembly $900 at 150k miles

JeffD

ps: My 2004 Prius is at 193,500 Miles

1 person likes this.
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So, you're still on the original 12 volt? How are your determining that it seems "ok"? If still on your original, it's likely on its last legs and reading very low voltages.

I would REALLY change the PSD fluid at this point. FWIW, some dealers claim that the fluid is "lifetime fluid" and the dealer I called today claimed it didn't need to be changed until 120K miles. Most repair experts on PC here disagree.

I'm not waiting that long and am going to do it before the 51K mile mark.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you ever had a thorough brake inspection? :eek:

5. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  6. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Spark plug is overdue. The schedule is at 120k miles.

1 person likes this.
  7. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. Transaxle oil
    2. Spark plugs
    3. Serpentine belt

Save up for a 12V, 'cause it has to be close to its end.

1 person likes this.
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Hobbit wrote up a fascinating monograph on brake fluid maintenance. His two basic observations were 1, brake fluid ages most slower in a Prius than a regular ICE car because the friction brakes are little used; and 2, a simple copper strip test is probably enough to check brake fluid quality in deciding if a flush is needed. I am convinced, and do not plan to flush the fluid based on a mileage number.

1 person likes this.
  9. mikeg1

mikeg1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for your feedback. The dealer has commented during past oil changes that the brakes might need repair/replacing only based on the rusted condition noted. I'm not really hearing any noise, adn most of my mileage has been on highways.

10. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Boy, that car has been really good to you! Hope mine does as well? Hal

11. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Toyota seems very vague on the subject of brake inspection, at least comparing to Honda, which is my past ownership experience. Honda's maintenance schedule call for brake inspection yearly, typically. And, the Shop Manual has a thorough and clear explanation of what the entails, basically pulling off the pads, cleaning, relubing and re-installing. Also, check of disc run out, parellelism, thickness, though this tends to be good for a long time, at least till the discs wear thin.

Drum brake shoes need inspection too, lube of the contact points with the housing, and check of thickness obviously.

I'm a little perplexed that a dealership lets you go that distance with no decent inspection. And quite candidly, would not want to have to do a panic stop in front of you.

Addendum: The Toyota Repair Manual may be part of the problem:

The brake sections basically explain a complete tear-down of the brakes. There is no explanation as to what a brake "inspection" entails. Obviously it's not complete disassembly, but what is it? It seems to be simply a check of pad thickness, maybe without even swinging up the caliper for a clear view, from what I've heard about dealerships.

12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    [deleted, duplicate post]

1 person likes this.
  13. mikeg1

mikeg1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, it's been primarily highway miles, since my commute after buying the Prius was ~100 miles/day for the first 3 years, then 1/2 that amount since then. Except for a troublesome CD insertion problem, I definitely have been lucky, though will take the advise given above to check and change as needed, battery, fluids, plugs, etc.

14. mikeg1

mikeg1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. The dealer that I've been using, up until last year, always seemed to find something, just to make money(?). They recomended new brakes, again, based on rust alone, but I've since switched dealers, and will get an inspection shortly. The brakes, however, seem just fine, w.r.t. stopping distance.

15. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Mike,

CD problems are common in Early Gen2 Prii. I bought a replacement stereo that was salvaged from a 2006 from:
    Plug In Hybrid Electric Vehicle PHEV (Steve is a great guy)
    for $82 (including shipping from Indianapolis). There are full instructions at that site for removing the MFD and then the Stereo which takes about 30 minutes (as does installation). If you feel insecure about DIY, just bring the instructions and the replacement stereo to any decent car stereo shop.

JeffD