1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

maintenance costs for Prius ll

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mark54321, Mar 1, 2011.

1. mark54321

mark54321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello:

I'd like to know the approximate cost people have paid for maintenance on their Prius. I'm thinking of purchasing a Prius II and I'm likely to put about 700 mi. per week on it...

I have a 2000 Acura Integra now w/ 300,000 mi...I'll prob. need to get that from the Prius.

Anybody have one w/ 100,000 + mi? I was wondering about the costs of replacing tires/ timing belt/ brakes etc...

The other car I'm considering is the Golf TDI diesel. Trying to get a feel for both.

Thanks

MC

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can take a look at Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity - Hybrid Electric Vehicles. There is no timing belt. The Prius uses a timing chain. You can get an idea of tire costs via Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

This post is in the wrong area, but if you're considering a 3rd gen, there are also no belts. The water pump, power steering and AC are all electrically driven.

Many folks have gone over 100K miles on the original brake pads since regenerative braking does so much of the work. http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/...ility_110125/20110125?hub=BritishColumbiaHome should give you an idea how much longer the brakes last.

1 person likes this.
  3. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a 2006, with 44,000+mi on the ODO. I do all my routine maintenance myself. My TOTAL maintenance costs so far (4 1/2yrs) is $197.79, which includes: 8 DIY oil & filter changes, 1-engine air filter, 1-cabin air filter. (got the filters on EBAY for 50% less than dealer prices) The inverter coolant pump was replaced at no charge under recall. I will be replacing the tires at around 50K miles, with Michelin Energy Savers. Absolutely no issues whatever so far. The car has never been in a shop/dealer, except for the recall mentioned above. Lifetime MPG =49.3. I live in San Diego, which has ideal driving conditions for optimum fuel consumption, of course. But, I live in a "hilly" area, which uses a bit more fuel, on average.

BEST car I've ever owned; and I've been driving for 60+ years.

1 person likes this.
  4. vnhk

vnhk New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You will save more money with Prius as you drive a lot. Over long term, it will cost a lot less to maintain than normal car.

On a side note, what maintenance did you do to get the Acura to 300k miles? I'm curious becuase I also have 1998 Integra LS at 165k right now.

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My 2004 Prius is at 193k miles. Oil (&filter) changes every 5k. AIr & Cabin filter every 30k miles. ATF drain/refill every 60k miles (~$100). Tires every 45k miles. Plugs, PCV, coolants after 100k miles (coolants every 50k thereafter). Still on the original brakes and batteries. New water pumps (2) every 150k miles. The only repair was a steering column problem at 150k (~$900).

I have saved $12k in gasoline costs to date!!! (compared to if I drove our Jetta 193k miles)

JeffD

1 person likes this.
  6. mark54321

mark54321 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thank you for your note. I had an 89 Integra and traded it in at 330,000mi. Then got a 1999 that was stolen almost immediately....then got a 2000 and got 287,000 before one of my cyllinders lost compression.,..and so I had another engine put in that had 90,000mi and also had a new clutch (I was on original) and timing belt (replaced every 95,000mi). Of course tires every 50k and tune ups about every 45k..plugs were replaced once. The car never failed to start. I'd keep the car longer but I will be driving even more in the near future and just need the extra gas mileage...I'll try to sell my Integra which almost looks like new except for bumper scratches. Those were great cars, and it seems the Prius is even better. I hope to get the same reliability. Thank you for your time and info.

Mark C.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you don't mind my asking, what do you do that you put so much mileage on your car and do not get reimbursed? i'm wondering because we reimburse our salespeople .50/mile and they put 30-40,000 a year on their vehicles.