1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance leaves battery at "low" charge

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmgrl3, Aug 15, 2006.

1. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Yesterday, I went to have my falling bumper checked at Service...it turned out to be a warped one...so factory warranty covered and a new one is on the way...

However, when I got in the car to leave, my batter was at pink/magenta...low. With battery memory working as it usually does, it should have been blue unless they left the Power on while the car was in service.

I was only there for a bumper so no need for them to disconnect the battery to work on the car...I got there at 12:30 and left around two.

Of course it charged up pretty quickly, but I could only assume it was left on by mistake by the service person working on the car...

The manager who did intake told me this morning when I called that they work on a lot of Prius's and know to turn them off....but that they are so quiet, perhaps the person "forgot" yesterday...and besides, it was only in the service bay for about a half hour.

I have had my power on for more than half hour while working on phone set-up...NEVER had pink bars...and I usually shut off car when batter is somewhere around mid, maybe bit lower.

Anyhow, he apologized, but said no one every complained before so he's pretty sure they shut them off as a regular routine.

I'm wondering if some of the drivers are drivers who don't bother to check or learn about these things and if it has happened before to them and no one said anything.

He was really quite nice and apologetic...I asked if I should give a gentle reminder when I bring the car in...he didn't think it was necessary.

Anybody have any similar experiences with service?

terri

2. marjam

marjam Member

First of all you do not need to shut off the car when the battery meter is low. The Prius knows how to take care of itself! I just had the steering recall done and my battery was down also. Maybe they ran the A/C! The point is that it is not a problem. Sometimes all the information the MFD gives us makes us worry too much. As you said the charge returns very quickly with driving. I sit sometimes with the A/C on and the battery goes down. The engine comes on and it keeps it charged. The only downside is slightly lower MPG.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can certainly understand how dissapointed you were in getting your car back mostly discharged.

I would tend to believe that the car wasn't left [ON] while they worked on it. That's not the cuprit here; it's something else. I've had Priapus [ON] and sitting in parking lots before; long before the battery went pink the ICE kicked in. I'm thinking that nothing would get a mechanic's attention faster than a car sitting on the dock suddenly starting the engine. Unless, of course, that actually happened and the mechanic doesn't want to admit it.

Perhaps a door was left open with the dome light on? Does that draw from the HV battery or the 12v? I can't remember.

4. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

Dome light is a possibility...there...I wasn't really worried about it recharging, since I know how quickly that happens...just wondered why it was high blue when I dropped it off and pink when I got back in to go.

I didn't have AC on, and it wasn't on when I got back in...and they were only checking external....bumper...

Oh well..

True about the service person jumping when the engine goes on!!

That's pretty funny.

OK..so I'll just forget it, I guess, but the service rep said they really do try to turn them off ...but I'll bet the engine coming on is a "jumper."

Thanks for replies!!

terri

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me jump in here a bit....
    First of all, almost every time I take my car in I end up with a significantly lower SOC going home than when I dropped it off.

Second, to try to minimize that I always turn off the AC and radio...just in case they do leave it in READY or IG ON.

Finally, I don't think the problem is that they left the car running or anything like that..."but you just said....."

If you want to play and learn do this.... With a normal/blue battery SOC shut off your car for a little while (15 min.). Now, go start your car and drive it 200 yards to 1/4 mile and shut it off. Wait 15 min. and do the same thing..drive just a short distance and shut off (simulating the move from the check in area, to holding, to maint. bay). Finally, drive it another 200 ft (pick-up area).

I bet you your battery SOC is either at 3 bars or in the pink.

Realize that start up puts one of the largest drains on the battery, you also tend to use the battery more in the initial drive time while the ICE is going through warm up. When you then shut down before the car can begin the battery recharge cycle the SOC will, necessarily, be lower. Do that cycle 3 or 4 times and you're in the pink.

Now, that said, I've gotten my car back a few times with the SOC not only in the pink, but also with my MPG markedly lower than when I dropped it off...this occured during ECU Flashes, so I'm pretty sure they did leave it in READY for extended periods of time.

As I said, you can attenuate the 'damage' by turning off AC and radio, but it's totally normal and explainable why the SOC would be low with all the moving around and multiple restarts at the dealership.

6. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    After I get the car back from service, the battery was always down to the last one to two bars. I find out that they put the AC to max cold every time.

What can I do? Tell them not to use my AC? Oh well, 1-2 MPG hit isn't end of the world.

7. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottY @ Aug 15 2006, 07:54 AM) [snapback]303506[/snapback]</div>
    You could try turning off the MFD so they can't access the climate control to turn max AC on...of course that doesn't solve the problem if they can just turn it back on. But perhaps not being able to see the AC controls might slow them down from trying to use it??

8. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ Aug 15 2006, 11:22 AM) [snapback]303517[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I don't really mind that they use the AC. I understand that after all the work, the techs might be a little hot. Like I said, 1-2 MPG hit isn't the end of the world. As for discharging the battery, the car will take care of it by itself after couple min of driving.

9. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 15 2006, 09:43 AM) [snapback]303478[/snapback]</div>
    This makes the most sense...I have started leaving the car on when I run into the house for a few minutes...or, like today, when hubby was waiting in car while I ran into library and P.O.....

I will also remember next time to shut off the radio...no AC was on....

My new bumper is in and now they have to figure out if I can wait while they put it on....I made an arrangement for them to get me a loaner if I can't wait, since I am a full-time caregiver....so I go right after I give hubby lunch and then I can be out for several hours once I get him settled.....

Thanks once again, Evan!!

My short trips are definitely mpg killers, but that's ok...I'm having fun....today I'll go to the mall and back and will pick up some mpg....I'm happy just understanding how it works...

....and I love driving it!!

terri