1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance of battery charge level by ICE

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by The Inquisitor, Apr 24, 2005.

1. The Inquisitor

The Inquisitor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My 2004 Prius has about 16000 miles on it; my wife's 2005 Prius about 1500 miles. Yesterday for first time I had chance to drive her 2005 on a short trip (about 150 miles through a lot of country, several cities, up and down Chehalis Mountain). I noticed a clear difference between my 2004 and her 2005, as to the battery charge levels.

The "normal" battery charge level in my 2004 is six blue bars. It has been as low as one red bar (ascending the Rockies) and as high as eight green bars (descending the Rockies). But in everyday driving the charge level varies frequently between six blue bars and four blue bars. Ths is always true in city driving. If I drive purposely on electric only, my 2004 allows me to do this until the battery charge level has dropped to four blue bars. Only then does the ICE start up and work to bring the charge level back up to six bars.

My wife's 2005 performed quite differently. For the entire trip (with a single exception) the battery charge level stayed constant at six blue bars. This is true at high speeds, low speeds, uphill, downhill, and even when I tried to drive purposely on electric only. Apart from any action on my part, the ICE in the 2005 consistently started up before the charge level dropped below six blue bars, charged the battery for a short time, and then shut off if not otherwise needed. Not once, even though I tried every way I knew to do so, was I able to cause the battery charge level to drop below six blue bars--something that happens several times every day in my 2004. The single exception to six blue bars on this 150 mile trip was during the descent from Chehalis Mountain, when very briefly there were seven green bars.

It appears that for the 2005 to maintain the battery charge level constantly at six blue bars, its ICE runs more frequently than is the case in the 2004, but for shorter periods of time when it does run. Far as I can tell, the two cars deliver almost identical average MPG (low 50s).

Is one of these behaviors "abnormal", or do both fall within the range of "normal"? Comments appreciated. Warren.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This sounds like what people are reporting when they have they're computer flashed on a 2004. MKes sense that the 2005 act this way too since they must have the new programming alrady installed. Another eason for me NOT to have my computer flashed.

3. Prolene

Prolene New Member

I wonder if battery longevity has anything to do with Toyota's more recent preference in BSOC.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm. That's odd. Toodling around today, mine was at 3-4 bars. Maybe it's because I'm starting and stopping the car too often.

5. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I have a 2005 and regularly get bars like 4 to 7 when weather is cold. Warm weather
    I get bars like 3 to 5 range.

With lots of trying to go electric I think I can get swings of 3 bars.

6. priusham

priusham New Member

Michigan - land of everlasting snowflake icon!
    I noticed no difference between my July 2004 Prius and the December 2005 Prius.

My 2005 @ 8500 miles performs exactly as your 2004 does.

7. Dr.Jay

Dr.Jay New Member

My 2005 behaves the same.
    Charge seems to hang at 6 bars no matter what.
    If it drops to 5 bars the ICE quickly brings it back up to 6.
    I only see 7 bars for a few seconds (coasting down hill) then back to 6.
    Have never seen 8.
    And if car enters 'Stealth' mode, it kicks out at 5 bars.
    It's been like this since I got it (last week in Feb).
    I assume this is normal.