1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance Priorities?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tduff311, Nov 27, 2017.

1. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay fellas, I have a 2007 Prius with 155k miles.

I have owned it for 3.5 years, since it was at 57k miles.

All oil changes have been completed as scheduled without fail. However, I have never completed a tune-up, power steering flush, transmission flush, or brake flush.

My auto shop is recommending all of these as well as a rust prevention treatment before this winter season starts, and the salt commences it’s corrosive nature.

Of the above maintenance and rust prevention options, how would you prioritize approaching these, from most urgent to least?

My budget is really tight, but I want this car to last another 150k as well!

Other than oil changes, I have done all repairs up to this point myself using YouTube and common sense: lower control arms replacements, strut/shock/coil replacements, engine coolant pump replacement with flush, wiper assembly repair, both air filters regularly, tie rod replacement, wheel hub bearing replacement, and drive belt replacement.

Thank you for your time!

Terry

IMG_7928.JPG

iPhone ?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not sure if the shop you are going to is really familiar with a Prius. Many times if a shop is just quoting maintenance recommendations without knowing the car and it's needs, you'll end up breaking the car.....and you would have paid for them to break it.

1. The car does not have power steering fluid
    2. Transaxle does not need a flush, just a simple drain and fill with Toyota WS fluid (not regular transmission fluid)
    3. A brake flush on a Prius needs specialize computer equipment or you'll end up with a $1000 repair after you're done doing it the conventional way.

So I suggest you ask around to shops that are familiar with a Prius before you take your perfectly running Prius and have some mechanic butcher it.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

Has anyone ever cadged a second gen Repair Manual, in pdf format? With 3rd gen brake fluid replacement without Techstream is covered, it's readily DIYable, @NutzAboutBolts has even done a video on it (pinned in 3rd gen maintenance forum).

My wife and I bumbled through it in about an hour, plus time futzing, getting the car raised/supported, wheels off. Before you start bleeding there's a specific chicken-dance, to put the car in "invalid" mode.

I went through almost 2 pints of Toyota DOT3 fluid. That's the one question mark for me: how much fluid is in the system, would need to be replaced to ensure you've got most of the old fluid out. That seemed about right.

JC91006 and NutzAboutBolts like this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would look at the maintenance schedule and add the tranny oil change. were the plugs ever done?

5. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for taking the time to read and put together a thoughtful and considered response, JC.

The mechanic is their shop mechanic, a master certified mechanic certified in hybrid cars. The shop is the best rated shop in Google for 75 miles.

I reside in Medina, Ohio, a suburb of Akron/Cleveland.

Would it be wise to take it into the dealer I purchased from, a Toyota Dealership (Metro Toyota) for a full review?

Given your knowledge of the Prius, my current mileage, and the fact that I’ve only gotten oil changes (and did all my own aforementioned repairs) in the past 100k since bought from the original owner (a nice grandma who took good care of it), what do you advise?

iPhone ?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you can do your own oil changes, you can do your own transaxle drain and fill. You'll just need a hose extension to fill the transaxle fluid and it'll be very simple to do. There are many write ups on this easy service.

The only thing I would leave up to the dealer to do is the Brake fluid change, that's something that can be very expensive if done wrong.

You should have these services done, if you haven't already done so.

1. coolant change (engine and inverter)
    2. spark plugs
    3. brake fluid change
    4. throttle body cleaning and MAF sensor cleaning
    5. transaxle fluid change
    6. brakes checked

There are lots of write ups on all these things listed. If you want to invest the time to DIY, it'll be both fun and rewarding (from all the money you save).

CutawayBricio and jerrymildred like this.
  7. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. So pay for the brake service, do the rest.

What’s a good place to start?

I did the coolant change last year. So, 2, 4, and 5.

Thank you

iPhone ?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can do them in any order, it's just preventive maintenance. Spark plugs and throttle body/maf sensor cleaning should be done together. All those areas are accessed the same time.

9. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great. Thank you.

Any chance you can hyperlink a good thread/place for detailed directions for doing those all together?

iPhone ?

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  11. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you

iPhone ?

12. Fred_H

Fred_H Misoversimplifier

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If hairy pets ride in the car, add cleaning the HV battery cooling fan to the list.

jerrymildred likes this.
  13. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, but I’m the only hairy creature in this lol

iPhone ?

14. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What he said!

I would add that a brake flush is a very good idea, if it can be done correctly and I would leave that to a trustworthy local Toyota Dealer.

As for the rustproofing.... ROFLMAO! This car is 10 years old and your location of "Medina" I am presuming is in MN and nothing done NOW will forestall rust. Salt is not the big enemy, it is Magnesium Chloride (or similar) chemicals; can you say I-35 bridge collapse?

15. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you LOL I have an appointment drop the car off today for the brake flush for only 115 bucks while I get the oil changed.

The car pretty much has minimal to no rust as I keep it well cleaned. So, to be clear, you wouldn’t recommend any form of rust prevention at this point other than general cleaning and maintenance?

iPhone ?

16. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have a look at the rear suspension?

tduff311 likes this.
  17. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How do you mean?

I replaced the rear struts/shocks last August. It was s bitch lol

iPhone ?

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Oh, for rust issues. Maybe second gen is actually a bit better? I've heard reg's on metal coatings are getting more restrictive, some of the more effective rust-preventing coatings are banned now? Our 3rd gen's rear axle beam, and all the bolts in vicinity, got very rusty, plenty fast. Too bad they didn't galvanize, or some electroplate coating. The cross beam seems like bare steel with a token single coat of black. And a lot of the heavy nuts/bolts look pathetic. I spray a bit of oil on them, but not that effective.:(

tduff311 likes this.
  19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How are your tires?
    That's always a high priority maintenance issue for me.

tduff311 likes this.
  20. tduff311

tduff311 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They are all RT43 General Altimax. Great snow and ice traction for all weather tires. Just replaced 2 in the first quarter of the year. The other 2 could use a changeout before the snow falls.

iPhone ?

The Electric Me likes this.