1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance question for 2007 Prius with 150K miles

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by msratner, Feb 9, 2024.

1. msratner

msratner Junior Member

Dear Prius Chat Wizards

I have a preventive maintenance question.

We have a 2007 Prius Touring Model that has been terrific for 150,000 miles and continues to run well. We live in Maryland, just outside Washington DC.

Since 2017, aside from oil changes, 12 volt batteries, filters, tires, wipers, and alignments, the only major maintenance our local auto shop has done is:
    • 2017, 98,204 miles, Replaced drive belt
    • 2018, 106,060 miles, Ignition Tune up (replace plugs, pcv valve, and the air filter). Induction service.
    • 2020, 123,563 miles. Serviced brakes. Front have 75% remaining, back 50%.
    The shop is fair and friendly, but they seem to have a wait-till-it-breaks philosophy. If it were your car, what preventive maintenance would you ask them to do?

Although we still get good milage (48-52 on the highway), after 17 years I think about the hybrid battery going sometime soon. Are there other major expenses we are likely to see in the next five years?

Bonus question. The tire pressure sensor light is on and steady. We have never replaced the TPMS sensors in the wheels. My guess is they are all close to dead. I’m planning to have all four replaced at a tire place for $250 - $300 total, for new (non-Toyota) sensors and installation. (We find the sensors helpful -- they have alerted us several times to tires that picked up nails.) Would you do something different?

Thank you for your help in keeping this Prius going.

Sending warm wishes and many blessings,

Mitchell

2. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would have the throttle body cleaned if it has not been done yet. Also, brake fluid replacement.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Stay on course . Tire sensors Pacific original branded sensors on e bay new 47 bux If you'll get to 350 bucks or 300 more dollars added on to that 47 to get them on the car then I guess so be it maybe not as resourceful as some others I guess I don't know everything else seems to be spot-on I have family near you and all that should be pretty uneventful for the next 7 to 9 years If you haven't put in a hybrid battery you probably will or maybe you'll get out of the car I don't know I wouldn't I would be trying to get 600,000 out of it for sure.

4. qmanqman

qmanqman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    One
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well yes and right under those you'll see the Pacific branded these are Pacific branded too but they come with the Toyota boxes without the Toyota boxes there about $8 cheaper but who cares blow these up and you see the Pacific logo and all that right on the sensor so these are them. And then most tire places if you're already getting tires they'll screw these on for like six bucks a tire I'm so cheap when I'm getting a set of tires I just cut the space in my old tires reaching and change the sensors and then drop the wheels off and the tires at the tire changing place and they mount the new tires and balance for I think it's $12 a wheel I'm never going to get to $340 like this I don't think If usually about $54 or something plus the cost of the sensors which here would be the $55 and of course the cost of my tires which I've already bought in there on the trailer with me with the wheels.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Follow the maintenance schedule that came with your vehicle

7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Change all the fluids: transmission, brakes, both cooling systems. Have the brakes, suspension, and underchassis inspected every year or two. Test the 12V battery every couple years.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Brian1954 likes this.
  8. Samg325

Samg325 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Make sure your catalytic converter is protected! I also have a 2007 Prius in MD and mine just got stolen. They will cut it off the bottom of your car. A 2007 Prius is one of the most high risk vehicles for this theft. They are expensive to replace. You can buy a metal shield or spray paint it a bright color to make it harder for thieves to sell.