1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance Questions not covered in "what you need & what you dont"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yes.ittransforms, Jun 11, 2014.

1. yes.ittransforms

yes.ittransforms 100K!!!!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

So my 07 Prius is coming up on that momentous occasion of its 100K miles. for its special day it looks like it wants around $500+ in maintenance. I live in Las Vegas and I am blessed enough to have about 4 major Toyota dealers within 30 minutes. Below are items they recommended and there reasoning as to why. I would like some clarification from the unbiased (dont want my money) members of this great forum and it is all greatly appreciated.

Trans fluid change
    dealer 1--it is a sealed system and NEVER needs to be changed.
    dealer 2-- It should be changed at 100K (changed not flushed)
    dealer 3-- same as dealer 2

Hybrid battery cooling system fan and duct cleaning, with install of a filter.
    dealer 1-- highly recommended as it is a dusty area
    dealer 2-- only cleans and does not install a filter to keep it clean.
    dealer 3-- didn't ask

3 part fuel system cleaning ( throttle body, injector, and fuel additive)
    dealer 1-- not needed on a Prius at all.
    dealer 2-- I should check the throttle body for dirt and grim, and get the service if it is nasty.
    dealer 3--recommends only throttle body cleaning.

inverter and engine coolant change.
    ALL DEALERS SAY THIS IS A MUST AT 100K

Brake Fluid
    ALL DEALERS SAY THAT WHEN THIS GOES BAD IT TURNS BLACK. NO NEED TO CHANGE UNLESS BLACK.

Battery 12V and electrical system check
    dealer 1-- part of the oil change and rear brake service , what are you thoughts on this?

it will also get a oil change and a rear brake
    alignment

These are the items that are in question here. I highly appreciate any other advice you experts can provide and I do NOT want to pay for what I don't need done. If there is anything on here that you recommend please let me know.

Thanks again,
    Jonathan

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would have changed it at 30,000 and then every 60,000, but 100,000 is better than never.

I have never seen a professional filter for the battery, I suspect they cobble something up. I would start with inspection, then clean if needed. But I do not live in Vegas.

I see this as a profit center for the dealer, not a benefit to you. Or maybe I am stingy.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/07ToyMS_MS0003/pdf/07omsour/2007/07toysmt/71w1smt.pdf (page 20 of the PDF)
    So does the factory.

Brake fluid picks up moisture from the air, Vegas will need changes much more rarely than New Orleans.

If you are still on the original battery, seven years may be a good life. If you change it now (does not need to be a dealer, any Group Size S46B24R battery will do) it won't die at an inconvenient time.

3. yes.ittransforms

yes.ittransforms 100K!!!!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So I am thinking that I should get ALL the fluid with the exception of the brake fluid changed at my 100K. My battery was changed my the body shop after it died after a accident, so that is fairly new, So that should be OK. I am still thinking about checking the throttle body for dirt, if it is bad getting the fuel system cleaned. So oil, trans, coolants. What are your feelings on the hybrid battery cooling system cleaning. They said they disassemble the fan and clean all parts. my car gets upwards or 106 degrees, so I thing it might be a good idea.

On a separate Note changing the trans fluid is NOT mentioned for normal maintenance anywhere in that PDF. I do not tow and i drive in normal conditions. what are your feelings on this?

Thanks again for all your help,
    Jonathan

#3 yes.ittransforms, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  4. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It's true that the transaxle fluid change is not part of the maintenance schedule. Most service department won't even offer to change it. Here on the forums, it's a popular service to perform, although most Prius owners out there probably don't have the transaxle fluid changed. If you do a search, you'll find lots of discussion here about changing the transaxle fluid. There has been some fluid analysis performed and there have been some transaxle failures, and the consensus here is that changing the fluid is a proactive step to help prevent a transaxle failure.

There has also been a report from a shop manager here who was performing transaxle fluid changes on higher mileage (100,000+) Prii and fairly consistently had the transaxles fail right after the fluid change (possibly due to loosened sediment/sludge), so he does not perform higher-mileage transaxle fluid changes any longer.

I'm still on the fence about it, myself. I'm at 45k miles, so it may be worth sometime in the next 15k, but I'd be a little hesitant to do it at 100k. You have to make the call though--there are arguments both for and against it.

On the HV cooling fan and ducts, it seems that most of the obstruction problems are caused by pet hair. If you use the car as a furry pet transporter, it may be worth having it cleaned (or doing it yourself). If not, the risk of it being clogged is lower. You can somewhat tell, by ear, how hard the fan is having to work. The intake vent is located on the upper, passenger side rear seat bolster. It helps if you can have a rear seat passenger listen for it as you drive. Mine is usually pretty silent unless I've just ascended into the mountains.

#4 tanglefoot, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014