1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance Reminder

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by EZW1, Sep 20, 2009.

1. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Okay, time to help us ignorant folks here. Can someone explain how the reminder systems work? For example, with the oil change reminder I can set an interval such as 3,000 miles or a date such as December 19th. I understand the date function: When Dec 19th rolls by I get a reminder. But how does the mileage part of it work? If I have 10,000 miles on it, will it remind me at 13,000, or will it remind me at 12,000 (every 3,000)?

2. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You cannot change or disable it. Starts blinking at 4500 miles and stays on at 5000. You or your dealer can reset it.

3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks but I must've mis-stated myself. I was curious about the various reminders (Gen II) such as oil, filters, tire rotation, etc. When I set a mileage number, does that start at the current mileage when I set the reminder - e.g. if I'm at 9,430 miles and I set the oil reminder for 3,000 miles, will it remind me at 12,430 miles, or will it remind me at interval of 3,000 miles starting at 0 miles (3,000, 6,000, 9,000, etc)?

4. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Uhh, what maintenance reminders? Are there any other than the 5k miles "maintenance required" light?

5. CBarr31

CBarr31 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    EZW1,

You can adjust the Maintenance Reminders for any mileage you wish. It works as a countdown clock essentially, once you set it it begins subtracting miles. When it hits zero it will pop up the reminder on the MFD.

The funny thing is it won't exactly match the maintenance light for oil. Apparently the MFD mileage and ODO mileage don't use the same counter? I asked about this in the Maintenance Forum a few months ago. My maintenance required light ALWAYS comes on about 100 miles before the MFD reminder.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question. And for those of you not aware these "Maintnenance Reminders" can be set under the "Info" section of the MFD. Everything from oil, tires, wipers, air filters, LLC, ATF, etc... there are even a few "custom" ones you can configure. I used on of those for inspection since we don't get stickers anymore.

Happy driving,
    Chris

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, yes; they exist only in systems with the navigation option.

1 person likes this.
  7. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks for clarifying this Chris.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    So ... to answer the original op ... yes, you (or the dealer) can set reminders at what ever interval you like (if you have NAV). You can even ad extra junk, like checking for dust in the cabin filter, or ad calender reminders for significant birthdays that you always forget ... just about everything except sync with your outlook calender
    ;)