1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance schedule for 2006

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by viking31, Aug 7, 2007.

1. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone have a link (or in pdf, etc) of a copy of the maintenance supplement for the 2006 model?

Thanks,

Rick
    #4 2006

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]491928[/snapback]</div> Hmm, it took you two minutes to reply, I was hoping for 30 seconds ;-)). All kidding aside, many thanks!!

What I was looking for (and found in the above link) was the inverter coolant replacement timeline. The schedule states first change at 100,000 miles and every 50,000 thereafter.

I seem to recall replacing the inverter coolant is not as simple as pulling the plug and dumping new coolant. I consider myself a good backyard mechanic and would do it myself if it didn't require expensive one time use tools. Can the inverter coolant replacement be done by the end user? Or is it difficult enough that Toyota needs to do it?

In addition to the inverter coolant the Prius also has transmission fluid, right? But I was not able to find a replacement listing for the transmission fluid. I realize the transmission fluid is most likely not under nearly the stress posed on transmission fluids in conventional automatic transmissions. Is the transmission fluid considered good for the life of the car? If not (and if the general feeling is to replace it periodically), again can the average backyard mechanic replace it too?

Thanks,

Rick
    #4 2006

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Aug 7 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]491942[/snapback]</div>
    Rick,

The difficulty with the Inverter loop is bleeding out the trapped air. Some (not many as few Prius 2's have reached the 100,000 mile mark - mine is at 92,000) have done it themselves and described the experience (try a search on this site).

The ATF has been tested by a group of anal owners (including me). I changed mine out at 60,000 miles in my 2004 Prius (perhaps half that interval is appropriate for the Classic Prius) and will do it again at 120,000 miles as the lab tests (PdMA) said that it was about used up (15% viscosity reduction). It is Toyota type WS ATF and you need 4 quarts. It can be a DIY job, but I had my dealer do it for $85 (including the materials cost, Type WS is pricey). Again the task has been widely discussed on this and other groups.

JeffD