1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

maintenance suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by geekie, Jan 31, 2022.

1. geekie

geekie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello,

I have a 2010 Prius with 275K miles. My regular maintenance were oil changes and occasional spark plug changes. I had no real issues with the car. I want to keep this thing going. Are there any additional things I should have a mechanic check before I go on a long trip? I've asked two different so-called toyota experts and off the top of their head could not be sure if these models had serpentine belts.

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Tranny flush and egr cir

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Before a long trip, I would not get too zealous. Just make sure engine oil and washer fluid is topped up, check tires, that sorta thing. You don't want to throw a litany of new-and-unusual maintenance at a car, and then head out on the road; it's just asking for trouble. But when you're back:

1. Full EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) circuit cleaning, including intake manifold. The latter contains EGR passages. What's the car's history; have you had it since new? With 275K miles, I'd speculate some cleaning's been done already?? More info in my signature.

2. Transaxle fluid drain-and-fill. More info in my signature.

3. Brake fluid change, MIIMS.

4. Just in case you've been remiss: brake inspection. Toyota USA recommends a more in-depth brake inspection (not just the "visual inspection" with tire rotations), every 3 years or 30K miles.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. KamiKKazi

KamiKKazi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My car didn’t really have good struts/shocks anymore after 223k. Sway bar end links were shot too. Replaced struts and shocks and end links and the ride is much better, tighter, less lurch when braking. Started making banging a noise after replacing all that so gotta replace the front anti roll bar bushings as well as my front sway bar was making the noise. Wheel bearings were old but not making any noise, replaced fronts only and noticed better gas mileage. Going to do rear wheel bearings soon as well as front lower control arms, tie rod ends, and lower trailing arm bushings but those last 3 are 100% necessary.

Besides that I would clean the EGR if you have not already.