1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance up to 25,000 miles/ 2 years (and DIY after).

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by davekro, Dec 4, 2013.

1. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We'll be looking at our 1st 5K in January. I just reviewed the 5k mi service intervals. Mainly tire rotation & check fluids each 5k, oil & filter each 10k. With 'visual inspections' at various intervals. The included 25k mi (2 year... :LOL: ) service gets 5 tire rotations and two oil changes. Is there any value added to warranty certification by going in for the (basically) tire rotations only at 5k, 15k and 25k? I can jack the car up and swap the tires front/back in 45 mins, or about the time it would take to drive one way to my nearest dealer. Just wondering if there is any reason to make the trips about every 2.5 months at 5k, 15k & 25k.

Well, I'll partially answer my own question on whether "I" want to drive in for some of these. :)
    I will choose to go in mid January for the 5k as an excuse to get the 3.1.0 Entune update (I have ver. 2.2 w/ 9-13 mfg date). I may want to go in for the final 25k (tire rotation) at about Jan 2015, if there are any Entune or any other software/firmware updates. Or if research shows there are any outstanding TSB* 'fixes' or factory recall notices. Not likely since my 20k would only have been 2.5 months prior.

Anyone with Toyota or Prius specific experience having Toyota question honoring warranty work required (at any age/ miles) on a Toyota where you have done the oil and filter changes yourself (and have dated receipts for oil & filter*, air/ cabin filters)? How warranty questions about the 100k 'replace engine/inverter coolant' as DIY w/ receipts?

Any warranty honoring issues from using non Toyota OEM parts/ fluids (like Mobil One synthetic 0w-20 oil, Bosch Extended range oil filters, Fram engine & cabin air filter)?

Any warranty honoring issues from DIY checking fluids and inspecting parts listed in manual?

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :confused: I've never been much on dealer service unless it's a warranty issue. Since there's no oil change at 5000 miles, I'd rather not take my 2012 Prius to the local dealer for the 5000 mile check. I'm fully capable of rotating tires, and checking fluid levels. I can wait for the Entune update at 10,000 miles. The less time I spend at a dealership, unless it's necessary, the better. Thoughts?

Andyprius1 likes this.
  3. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nothing to think about. The dealer will probably scar or scratch up the wheels during the tire rotation, dirty up the interior, run the car through their beat up car wash and who knows what else. No thanks.

4. Lourun

Lourun Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Just go get it done and then it's on record that you went to your schedule Maint, takes less than a hour for the 5000.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Thanks! You read between the lines. My thoughts exactly.

6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In all fairness, these things can happen, but usually do not. If you have such a fear then never bring it into a dealer. I have never noted any type of damage from a dealer.

Lourun likes this.
  7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :) My question was, since there's no real service to the vehicle, oil change, etc., I'd rather pass and I will. I've had some less than professional dealer visits and I value my time. Anything they would do at 5000 miles, can wait until 10,000 miles.

8. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    . Agree, 99% of the checklist is just pizazz. They do faithfully adjust your tire pressure for you. ( even tho you didn't want it ) but, that has been a learning experience for them, and if I tell them they leave it. Such progress!

9. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree...I hate when they lower my tire pressure.

10. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I took my Prius c in for its 15,000 mile tire rotation yesterday, and the Multipoint Inspection report showed tire pressure on all wheels measured at 30 and adjusted to 32, But I checked with a digital gauge when I got home and they were all at 38.5, which is just about where I normally set them.

11. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to keep mine at 44/42 and they adjusted them all to about 35.

12. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I especially do not want them to reset my TPMS baseline! I purposely raised the tie pressures to 50f/48b, then rest my TPMS, then immediately lowered my pressures to 42f/40b. I may actually raise them to 54/52, reset TPMS, lower back down to 42/40. I want the TPMS light to come on when I am down about 2 psi from 'my preferred' psi. 25% drop warning on 54 psi would be 13.5. 54 - 13.5 = ≈ 40.5 'warning'. I have no idea what the +/- variance on the 25% drop amount is. I am in Calif. so I don't know if the odd 45 degree F morning would drop my pressure by 2 psi, but once driving, it would rise up above it's 'normal' cold tire set temp (of maybe 55-60 degrees)

13. Astolat

Astolat Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Hard to see how they could quibble about warranty work because you didn't go in for a 5,000 mile service, when in the UK the service interval is 10,000 miles anyway... It's fundamentally the same car.

14. davekro

davekro Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Quibling is how insurance companies make profit. It is the business model. The question is what is the threshhold for the insurance company used by Toyota. What do they routinely deny claims for. I will take this question to the larger regular Prius forum.

Started new discussion here in : Gen III 2010+ Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubles
    Reasons you have been denied warranty claims w/ any Toyota over the years? | PriusChat