1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance Warranty (coverage)?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bob dylan, Dec 3, 2005.

1. bob dylan

bob dylan New Member

Hi guys,
    Sorry if this has been covered here already, but I am new to the Prius world...

I just bought an '06 last week and got the 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Is there also some sort of Maintanence Warranty (oil changes, tire rotations, regular maintanence stuff) that I should get or look into?

Your thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    They're not "warranties", but many dealers sell pre-paid maintenance plans. They're high-profit propositions, being based on the high rates dealers charge in their service departments. Some PCers do some or most of their own maintenance (oil changes, air filter changes, tire rotations, spark plug replacement, etc., depending on what they feel are their own personal limitations) and save, oh, probably around 75% compared to what dealers---or franchise places like Jiffy Lube or Econo Lube and Tune (CA)--- charge. There's more info in the Maint. forum, I think.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Service contracts underwritten by Toyota Financial Services are available at discounted prices through PriusChat.

Please refer to this thread for details:

Discounted Toyota Prius Extended Warranty /Service Contracts

4. Twiddles

Twiddles New Member

I was wondering the same thing.

Are ALL Toyota dealers REQUIRED to accept the prepaid maintenance coupons, or is it up to the individual dealership?

5. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The Toyota Financial Services website Prepaid Maintenance page lists all of the details and has a dealer locator, presumably to those who participate in the plan.

P.S. This is the fine print:

6. cgraham

cgraham Member

I called Toyota Corporate recently and asked about dealer's obligation to honor the Toyota prepaid maintenance plan.

I was told that only dealsrs that SELL the plan are obligated to HONOR it; they must honor it no matter where it is purchased.. I was also told that in practice most dealers will honor it, with the exception of the SE states mentioned in a post just ablove.

C

7. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

I use EZ-Lube, costs me only about $24 for the required maintenance every 5,000 miles, they do a great jobm, takes about 10 minutes and I am done. I rotate the tires based on the reccomendations of where I purchased the tires (America's Tire Store), which is free for the life of the tires and is about when the brakes should be checked, which is the one thing EZ-Lube doesn't check and America's Tire Store will check them while rotating the tires for free. So normal maintenance (not counting major intervals) costs about $24 every 5,000 miles. Oh, and they do not overfill the oil.

8. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This might be a little late, but you can cancel your warranty and use the one offered here. Platunum bumper to bumper $990. Yours will be prorated if you cancel.

9. cgraham

cgraham Member

You can find info on purchasing the PRiusChat extended warranty and on Prepaid Maintenance Plans here:

http://priuschat.com/Discounted-Toyota-Pri...acts-t3130.html

Do a "prepaid maintenance" search on the main Prius Forum to find discussions on its pros and cons. It mainly depends on whether you are willing to do most maintenance yourself. The Plan locks in prices, and prevents dealerships from running amok. Mine charges $80 for a 5000 mi service - ridiculous. With the plan it works out to a reasonable amount, plus I know the vehicle is being serviced by someone who understands it and may notice problems EZlube wont. Certainly DIY would be a lot cheaper.

I made a point of talking to the service manager and certified technician, to feel out their attitude.

I'm about to buy the extended warranty and the prepaid maintenance: I think they offer peace of mind, and the best (not certain) guarantee the vehicle will be serviced as it should. (No other dealerships of experiences 3rd party shops here).

10. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

Well, basically the warranty says as long as you keep records of maintenance that's good enough, I refuse to pay the dealership $80+ for what EZ Lube can do less expensive and better, they do a rather thorough inspection and I made sure that they had worked on Priuss before. I also made sure that thier work was god on those that they had worked on and it has been, at this particular location at least, not saying that all are going to be equal in this aspect. I also refuse to be at the dealership for hours waiting for an oil change that takes 10 minutes to do. Why waste time and money on the dealership? Are they really any better? No, esp. since those that have certified Prius technicians usually only have one on thier staff, so there is a major backlog. So, the question is trust you car to the dealer's mechanica who deals with 5-10 per month or the EZ Lube that I went to that deals with 10-20 per week?

11. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    bob dylan: Last Active 29th December 2005 - 04:58 PM

So he is gone.