1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenance : What should I check?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tom1l21, May 26, 2009.

1. tom1l21

tom1l21 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I purchased my 05 with 82k a couple months ago and I was wondering what I should be checking in regards to maintenance. I'm going to change the oil soon and the tires as well. Already changed the cabin air filter as well as the engine air filter. Any other suggestions on things to check or clean? I don't really want to go to the dealer for regular scheduled maintenance as I like to do things myself (unless I have no choice).

Sorry, I missed the sticky above. Any other suggestions that might not be on the list?

2. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    transaxle fluid

have the brakes checked/adjusted if needed. The pads and shoes should still look almost new, the prius does not use friction braking often, but it's still wise to have them inspected on used car.

inverter/engine coolant either topped off, or drain and refill. Although Inverter is usually good till 100k. But the car is almost 5 years old, so the fluids start to break down with age. Might be a good idea to have that done. It wouldn't hurt to have both water pumps looked at, I believe the Engine water pump, not MG1. IS prone to failure in 2004-2005 models, it's probably fine though.

some say change plugs @60k. But the Manual says 120.

check this sticky for more info

http://priuschat.com/forums/care-ma...70-what-services-you-need-what-you-don-t.html