1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintence Question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by hpartsch, Jul 28, 2010.

1. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks I've slowly been looking into what preventative maintenance I need to do.

I bought my 05 prius with 82k and it as close to 90k now.

Due to suggestions/advice on PC I have done the following:

Changed Tranaxle fluid

Changed brake fluid (I sort of did this my own way, figuring it was easy and not a priority. Basically I got a big syringe from work, sucked out the old stuff and dumped new stuff in the reserve container, then drove down a huge hill and put it into N. Did this 3x.

I bought a big tank of brake fluid. It was clear and the old stuff was yellow.

I I drove it for about 300 miles and checked it. It appears yellow, but about 1/2 as "yellow" as before. So im guessing maybe I should repeat the procedure, but with a small can.

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Anyways... back to the main point, from reading all of the wonderful posts on this site I have come to the conclusion I need to replace the following parts:

Serpentine belt, PVC belt, inverter pump & coolant, and engine coolant.

I am going to order the parts from (-the coolant) from the toyota place all you guys recommend :). And am going to try to do the maintenance myself.

I want to make sure I am not missing anything crucial.
    I plan on replacing the spark plugs at 120k.
    I see some say replace the struts; however, the ride quality is good still:). The only thing that bugs me and makes me wonder about this car is when I brake, and hit a bump it seems as though the braking reduces. Is that normal?

Thanks guys, your great!!!
    Love this site, I am almost addicted to it, and my prius~

Edit: (The brakes on the car are in perfect shape, my friend showed me how to check them)

Also, I did the battery test a few times and each time it passes. Should I still possibly consider replacing it before winter?

2. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I replaced my auxiliary battery (on a 2006 w/ 99k miles) last month because it was testing at 11.9 V with everything off. I figured I didn't want to be stuck needed a jump start somewhere and risk damaging the electronics. I used the elearnaid.com Optima package and it has been working fine. :)

3. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    How much fluid did you replace? Only that's in the reservoir or more? I am curious to hear opinions from experts on this as well.

Yes unfortunately this is how Prius behaves - momentary loss of brake power after a bump. Drive carefully and enjoy the ride! :)

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It doesn't hurt to replace the brake fluid in the reservoir, but the effect of doing that is more cosmetic than functional since the fluid in the brake actuator assembly, hydraulic lines and wheel cylinders will not be changed. To fully change the fluid requires opening and closing the solenoids within the brake actuator assembly via the Toyota diagnostic laptop.

6. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, I basically sucked all that was in the reservoir out and then filled it to the full mark. I then drove it down a big hill in N. I did this 3 times; however, after driving it a good bit of miles, it appears as though the fluid must have recirculated some, because the fluid has increased in its "yellowness". Maybe physics, such as going around turns and my crazy driving on these mountains bounced some around. I might buy another container, heck for the price of 5 bucks, I figure I might as well. I can't afford to pay 400 dollars for the real thing.

7. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see that some recommend changing the engine thermostat; however, i can't find any diy pages?

Is it that easy or am I missing it? Also what is the part number.

I am getting ready to order the needed parts and one thing that has been driving me crazy lately is that little rubber foot on the parking brake keeps coming off. I think a tab is broken, any suggestions or part number for a new one?

Also Patrick would you suggest cleaning the throttle bottle? I read through all 400 posts of the main page today and found conflicting info.

Finally, I am confused with the pumps. I think I am going to replace both the inverter pump and engine coolant pump. Good idea for the ladder? Also am I missing a diy page for it. I have been looking for the past 30 min.

Thanks guys!

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Three websites that I recommend to DIYers:

techinfo.toyota.com which provides Toyota repair manual info, tech training, and New Car Features manual. This is a subscription website and costs $15 for two-business day access

toyodiy.com which provides parts catalog info. In the past this included exploded illustrated parts diagrams which was extremely useful. Now the info is text-based, nevertheless it remains an excellent resource.

toyotaworld.com which is where I buy my Toyota parts. This is one of a few US Toyota dealers that sell parts ordered via the web for ~25% discount off MSRP.

The thermostat is pretty easy to replace. Drain the engine coolant, remove the hose on the thermostat housing, remove the housing, then remove the thermostat, noting its orientation before removing it. Install a new O-ring gasket on the new thermostat, install the thermostat in the same orientation, reinstall the housing and the hose, refill the engine coolant.

I'm traveling at the moment and don't have access to the repair manual, so I suggest that you refer to the first website above for detailed info, tightening torques, etc.

I haven't had occasion to replace the engine coolant pump yet, but the basic idea is to remove the engine under cover, drain the engine coolant, slightly loosen the hardware holding the coolant pump pulley to the pump, remove the serpentine drive belt, remove the pump, remove the pulley from the pump, clean up the pulley, then reinstall the pulley on the new pump, install the new pump with gasket, install a new serpentine drive belt, refill the coolant.

The hardest part of the above is probably refilling the engine coolant because of air that is hard to get out of the system; I've posted on how to do that.

I do not know what a throttle bottle is, but perhaps you are talking about the throttle body interior and throttle plate. Those parts could use cleaning, given your odometer reading.

1 person likes this.
  9. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    that little rubber foot on the parking brake keeps coming off.

I used an adhesive (Goop branded) and mine is now staying on.

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's one of my favorite products, Goop by Eclectic Corporation.

Sticks to about anything, strong and remains somewhat elastic.

There are many varieties, Automotive Goop is a good match for most automotive uses. The Marine, RV and Household varieties would work too. Most large hardware stores carry it.

11. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks everyone!