1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Maintenenace and Lietime Warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by maggieddd, Jan 21, 2006.

1. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

My other topic got messed up so I am posting again.
    My dealer gave me this warranty when I bought this car. Basically, from what I understand, when I do all the manufacturer's recommended maintenance at my dealer he gives me a lifetime warranty on some parts of the car. I am attaching the description. It explains what it covers. Do you think it is a complete crap. I don't think I want to go to him for all my maintenance, but if this is worth it, then I will. What do you think?

2. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maggie:

There are a *lot* of catches in that "warranty" especially the fact it's supplied by the dealer, not by Toyota. I like the part about "improper" fluids, so when something does wear out, they'll claim the improper fluids were used by their shop.

I note that frequent wear items, like CV boots, are also excluded, along with seals and gaskets.

Ask that dealer for proof they've actually come good with their "warranty."

jay

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

they told me that this was just an incentive for buying at their dealership. I didn't pay for it hey just gave it to me.
    They said that the normal wear and tear is not included

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maggie:

Right, that's why I mentioned CV boots, gaskets, seals, etc, common and expensive wear items. Not much of a "warranty."

For example, with most front wheel drive cars, once the crank seal goes, you have few options but to pull the motor to replace one dumb seal. Otherwise, oil leaks all over, and you have very low oil pressure.

If the front wheel drive car is a stick shift, the oil usually gets on the clutch too, so that gets replaced. Just one little example and the bill is very steep.

If you have bad feelings about this dealer or service department, try to find a better one.

jay

5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think you got your money's worth. :D

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

:D :lol:

7. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Did you get some sort of standard warranty/Toyota Certified/or whatever with your Prius just for buying it?

You need to compare the two side by side for an accurate analysis.

IMO, I think there are too many catches within the "Maintenance Requirements and Claim Procedures" section. For example: Particularly that it's up to YOU to PROVE that THEY "have performed all manufacturer's recommended maintenance". :rolleyes:

Obviously, this is a non-Toyota specific warranty, so I think when you compare what you currently have to this, you'll probably find you don't need it.

Also, how long to you intend to keep the car? Generally, the stuff jayman is talking about happens to cars with high mileage, so if you think you'll "upgrade", trade, or whatever, in a few years, it's not something I'd lose sleep over...

8. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I am not loosing sleep over it. Will probably never use their warranty. Just wanted to check with you guys.
    Thanks