1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major GW effects now only 20 years away

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jan 28, 2007.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well. we have been hearing things like in 100 years, the seas will rise a foot, or in 50 yeas, it will be noticably warmer and studies "suggest" that humans are accelerating GW, etc.

now a new study says that the midwestern US will have weather like southern Texas in as little as 20 years.

New study takes on fossil fuels, global warming
    Bill Lambrecht
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    WASHINGTON - By 2030, Illinois will feel like Arkansas now with longer and hotter summers - but with more storms and unpredictable weather, climate researchers predict. By the end of the century, parts of the Midwest could be as steamy as Texas today.

http://www.theolympian.com/101/story/62702.html

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So what would texas and arkansas be like then?

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jan 28 2007, 02:23 PM) [snapback]382039[/snapback]</div>

If an African went to Texas they'd be like "Damn its hot here!". LOL

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Jan 28 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]382116[/snapback]</div>
    But if it's that hot in Texas... the Africans would be molten goo. Seriously though, I would think that the effects would be more pronounced at higher latitudes and more so in the Northern hemisphere because of its greater land mass.

5. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jan 28 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]382127[/snapback]</div>
    Why do you think they ended up in Texas? Africa caught on fire. :p

I don't really think we can predict what the weather will be like in specific geographic loactions. I mean we can extrapolate data and make guesses but that is all based on current wind patterns and ocean circulation. Those could all change and we'd have dramatically different patterns.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    they also mentioned that severe weather patterns will be much more severe. most real bad weather is caused from cold air hitting warm air. if the warm air starts moving farther north and hits colder artic air, we are looking at some major storms that have the potential to be much more violent.

i guess the big thing i see here is its no longer "not my generation's problem" anymore. i cant tell you how many people have told me, "the gas will be fine for me. by the time the real problems start, i wont be here"

pretty self-centered i know but that opinion is shockingly common.

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder how many people think that that have kids?

8. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Jan 28 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]382127[/snapback]</div>
    To my understanding, the models, to the extent you believe their predicted outcomes are accurate, suggest a greater GW effect in the northern hemisphere, at higher latitudes as you suggest Tripp.

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Change in the North is already happening. As the permafrost thaws, more greenhouse gasses will be released, accelerating the process.