1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Major Oil Overfill at Dealer - Really PO'd

Discussion in 'Prime Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Neicy, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The dipstick reads 1 and 1/4 INCHES ABOVE the full line and the tires were all over the place between 39.5 and 41.5 pounds. Checked when I got home but gave them the benefit of the doubt and checked again this morning when everything was cold. It was only up 1 inch yesterday. Paperwork said he set all tires at 38 (I did not specify pressure as I have my own pump}. This is the first time at this dealer so I wanted to see how they would do. Obviously they failed my test. I will be going back to my previous toyota dealer for service next time but I'm going to send an email to the Service Manager with a copy of the checklist showing what the mechanic wrote (and of course he did not sign it with his name). I am not able to get under the car to drain the excess. I can understand a little over but not that much. I am so furious I could spit nails. I cannot post my real comments or I would be banned

bisco likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get a pump at an autoparts store and remove it thru the dip tube

3. slowmachine

slowmachine Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some dealers contract with an outside service for oil changes and other simple work. It can be little different than Jiffy Lube-type places. It’s good to ask who is working on your car.

4. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks Bisco. I can but should not have to. I sent the service manager an email stating my dissatisfaction along with the mechanic's sheet showing what he said he set the tires at (38 all around). This reminds me of the commercial with the lady that has to use a male puppet to get the attention of the car salesman. "It doesn't matter. She'll never check". Next time I'll go back to my previous dealer.

bisco likes this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe dealership owes you a house call??

6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dang, I hate hearing stories like this...especially from a Toyota dealership. While I do my own maintenance, when the dealership does it (when it's free with a new car), I'll trust but verify. As soon as I get the car, I'll pull over, pop the hood, and check the oil level myself. If something is wrong, they are right there to make it right and I don't dare drive with the oil level too low or too high. (But my dealership is pretty good...my only complaint has been with how busy they are which makes waiting way too long...but I do get to go look over the new models and also buy anything I'm needing from the parts folks.) I've learned not to wait for anything except oil changes at the dealership and will get a ride home and pick it up later.

7. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would certainly take it back immediately. The inconvenience and wait should be worth a free change in the future, especially if you paid $50 or more.

This is the dipstick oil extractor I use. It comes in handy for getting a hot oil sample for a Blackstone oil analysis and can be used for oil extraction. Some use an extractor for an easy 5k oil change while using a mechanic to do the 10k change with filter.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When doing an oil/filter change, I put in the spec'd qty, premeasured in a large, graduated pitcher, then ignore it for a few days. I know from experience if I check right after, even after running the engine a minute or two, then letting it sit, the level tends to read low on the dipstick. Couple of days later, check it, and it's 1/8" to 1/4" below the top mark.

TPP2k18 likes this.