1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

major update to the PSD-DETAILS document

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by john1701a, Oct 17, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [​IMG] . [​IMG]

PSD DETAIL DOCUMENT

The hope is the new diagrams (one for each PSD illustration) of the vehicle components will assist with the understanding of how the PSD works. The active ones are in color, the inactive faded.

What do ya think?

2. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Well John, I think we owe you a heavy debt, that's what I think! Thanks very much for all the good info. I'd never have figured this thing out, to the extent that I have, without the animations.

Although I think I can fairly say that I've gotten my mind 90% around the concept, I still have a hard time grasping what form the "real world" connection between the outer ring and the drive wheels takes. I finally "get" how the ICE can be connected AND stopped while the rest of the driveline is still moving. I'm one of those folks who will blow away tests like the SAT or LSAT, but will fail miserably on classic "unfolded box" spatial perception tests. I've seen my Prius up on a rack, wheels off, and from that perspective, the thing looks pretty normal. Just the usual drive shafts from the wheels to the innocent looking transaxle. Not much there to suggest the internal magic. How does the motion "transfer" from the outer ring to the shafts?

Once again, thanks very much for your generous help! :)

3. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ekpolk @ Oct 20 2006, 06:50 AM) [snapback]335455[/snapback]</div>
    I tend to shy away from that particular detail, since it has absolutely nothing to do with the PSD operation... and it leads to confusion.

With the first 3 models of Prius, there's a direct connection from the shaft the motor shares to a reduction-gear via a chain. It's a linkage that never alters, so it's reasonable to consider it the same "component". There movements are always identical.

The confusion sets in when you consider the newer design. Another PSD is introduced as a replacement for the reduction-gear and chain. You'll find this on the newer models, like in Highlander-Hybrid and Camry-Hybrid.