1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Make Me Love The Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DBM, Nov 10, 2004.

1. DBM

DBM New Member

After reading numerous articles about the Prius and being excited about the technology, I started lurking around this forum. After seeing the fanatic passion of the current owners (I’ve seen similar fanaticism only from fellow BMW owners) I figured I’ll be in love with this car. So the yesterday we rented one for a day so we can get a better feel than a 30 minute test drive. After 24 hours and 240 miles, here are my opinions:

The good:
    Love the powertrain technology (of course)
    The smart entry is just too cool
    Brakes are awesome
    Trunk space is similar to my old SAAB 900 (cavernous!)

The ok:
    Adequate acceleration, but nothing to be impressed with
    Steering feel is better than expected with electric power steering

The bad:
    Unstable at high speed (I expect it to be less stable than the BMW, but it’s even less stable than the Passat we have)
    Steering wheel feels cheap (it feels like my ‘88 Mazda 323)
    Rattles and squeaks coming from front and rear from a car with only few hundred miles on it)

So, as a “car guy†I want to have an emotional attachment to this car, like you guys do, but I just don’t get that feeling. So that leaves me with the logical/financial side. Considering that I put 15,000/year on the car and I live in California, I should be an ideal candidate. But, if I compare the Passat’s 23MPG with the Prius’s 40MPG (that’s what I get) I can save about $700/year. Considering that we need to pay Toyota ~$3000 more for the hybrid technology vs. similar cars with IC engines and we need to pay the dealer ~$2000 more vs. a not-so-hot car, it will take about 7 years to recoup the difference. In the mean time, for $30K, you could have a loaded Passat or Honda Accord.

So, what am I missing? What do you guys see that I don’t? Please understand that I’m not trying to start a flame war. I honestly want to understand your point of view.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it depends a lot on what you hope to get out of the car. Clearly, from a pure cost of ownership standpoint, there are cheaper cars to own.

Most of us have 1 or 2 minor rattles or squeaks. I've tracked down and brutally murdered most of mine and there are a few tricks to help get rid of the more common offenders.

The car you drove may need the alignment checked or tire pressure adjusted (did you check that?) to help with handling, but no, this is not a road gripping BMW 5 series car by any stretch. The feel is different, but OK IMO..it gets better with a little time.

Don't know what to say about the steering wheel. I never thought it felt cheap, but then I used to drive cars with hard plastic 1/2" diameter steering wheels! I did, 2 weeks ago, buy a high quality leather cover for the steering wheel which both makes it feel more comfortable and grippier...and more stylish appearance.

I think a lot of the enthusiasm you see but don't feel comes from a pride of ownership and knowing you're really not sacrificing much, if anything, but driving a car that's saving a lot of gas and isn't doing nearly as much damage to our world. You know you're on technology's cutting edge and are part of something bigger.

I think you're going to have a relatively hard time finding a comparably configured car to the Prius with the same or similar interior volume with DVD NAV, available integrated XM, VSC, side impact and curtain air bags, HID head lights, SKS, auto-dimming Homelink mirror, etc. for anywhere near the price of the Prius...and if you do what's the mileage and cost of ownership of that comparable vehicle over the time you plan to own it?

This is not a car for everyone...no way. It's a cutting edge prototype vechicle for the car of the 21st century--that was Toyota's stated original intent. If you don't get this then maybe you'll be a candidate for the Camry Hybrid when it comes out...or maybe it'll be a different model with handling and comfort features more to your liking.

But there's something pretty intangilble that makes us passionate for the Prius. If you don't feel it and the car doesn't suit you mechanically, move on, something more to your liking will come.

For me, I've never been so proud or satisfied to own this car. I have fun every time I drive it and each drive is an MPG challenge.

Best luck.

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know why some people are complaining about being unstable at high speeds? Are you guys drafting with jeff Gordon or something? That is one of the things I like about my prius, it's comfortable and fine (for me anyway) on the highway. It seems surefooted to me. I love going on long trips on the highway with this car and sometimes i get up to 80 with it, so I'm in the dark as to what all the fuss it about?????

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know either...mine is smooth and sure with no significant wander or drift at speeds up to 80mph...have not gone over that speed often enough to comment. I do get blown around a bit and a particularly hard gust from the side can be disconcerting, but around here it isn't very often.

5. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If there is anyone else here that has had or remembers driving a Corvair, you'll have a better understanding of the feeling of instability that is trying to be described of the Prius. The Corvair with it's original belted non-radial tires, worm and gear steering and heavy rear weight bias ('cause that's where the engine lived) helped make your a highway driving experience a two fisted white knuckle thrill! ...and I loved it! and my Prius!

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am most definitely NOT a car guy. I learned to drive in a 1967 Ford LTD station wagon and traded in a 1998 Buick Regal for my Prius. So any comparisons to BMWs, Farraris, racing suspension, or anything performance related is basically wasted on me. Ultimately, if these are the only things you are concerned with, there's a good chance this is not your car. Period.

When I am driving to work in two-lane, bumper-to-bumper, no-letting-up traffic, all regards for 0-60 acceleration ability are wasted. That Audi TT in front of me is moving just as slowly as the Monte Carlo behind me.

After driving the Regal for four years, it took a couple days to get accustomed to the smaller steering wheel. But now it fits my hand like a glove and unlike in the Regal I can reach every button without significantly moving my hand position.

I experience little or no squeaks, rattles, or unexplainable noises. Perhaps I should turn the 9-speaker JBL 6-disc system down. I've never owned a car about which I could say that. I just love saying that. The only thing that makes good music sound better is when there's not the constant drumming of an engine overpowering the music's subtleties.

Ok, the defense rests. Now for the offensive maneuvering:
    I love driving this car because I see literally hundreds of BMWs, Mercedes-Benzes, Audis, a couple Farraris, and even saw a Lamborghini once. And this is just during my regular commute. But in the course of a week, I'm lucky to see two Prii. I've never owned a car with a "hey look at me" appeal.

I love this car because just when I think I have it figured out, I or someone on this board figures something out and reminds me that there's always more than meets the eye. Those Japanese Toyota engineers are a sneaky lot.

I love this car because I last filled my tank 14 days (464 miles) ago. This becomes even more important as the evenings progressively get colder in Chicagoland.

I love this car because I'm a freakin' nerd. Enough said on that one. Except that as Toyota designs better firmware, hardware controls, and MFD display options, all they have to do is upload them. That's just cool.

Finally, I love this car exactly because I'm not a car guy. I have never been concerned with acceleration abilities. Horsepower has never appealed to me. My wife married me precisely because I don't waste countless Sundays planted in front of football games. I care about more than just what the nameless guy in the other lane thinks about my car. I realize that no one will ever pull up beside me at a stoplight and ask if I have a Hemmie. I accept that I might never be required to drive through the Sahara Desert, African Rainforest, a construction sight, or haul a 100-foot yacht.

And I have named the car I love Priapus because I do not question the size of my

7. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It sounds like it won't take that much to "convert" you. Cool!

> Adequate acceleration

Was that based on FEEL or what the SPEEDOMETER said? There's a very significant difference. The CVT is so smoooooooth, you will be disappointed if you expect a power sensation. The needed speed is there, only your butt won't feel it.

> Unstable at high speed

Soft tires and tires with an improper pressure balance (a 2 PSI front bias is required) will do that. And of course, tall cars like Prius are naturally less stable than the short that was considered "normal" just a few years ago.

> with the Prius’s 40MPG (that’s what I get)

Don't jump to a conclusion about MPG until both you and the car itself are broken in. Even if your driving habits don't change at all, you will monitor both oil-level and tire-pressure more closely. And the various moving components within will loosen up as the miles add up. They all improve MPG.

8. DBM

DBM New Member

Thanks to all for your opinions, and yes, I do want to be a convert :)

As for stability, the Corvair comparison is probably the closest to what I felt. I'm used to driving a BMW at 90MPH with one hand and a very light grip. Two hands and a tighter grip were required with the Prius in order to get the same confidence level. I am willing to buy the tire pressure theory, though.

And yes, I am both a geek and a car guy. :p The two are not mutually exclusive when electronics count for 40% of the cost of a car and the trend is only upwards.

9. rflagg

rflagg Member

DBM, there have been one or two people who have had problems at freeway speeds - but that is quite rare. What I suggest is test driving another Prius different from the one you took out - maybe perhaps a dealership has one nearby that you can take out for a spin - one with more miles on it, maybe with better tire pressure, etc. This is an absolutely amazing car, no doubt about it - but make no mistake, just like with every vehicle ever produced, a few that come out have some problems - it's like computers - build 100 exactly the same way with the same parts, and tell me you can get them all to run the same, and I'll worship you as my new God. :)

As far as selling you on this car - my first instinct when I saw this thread was 'oh well, if you don't like it, then don't get it.' Truly, very little cars have this sort of feel - where they are designed not necessarily for the entire world, but just for a small group of people - I guess one could say that's probably how Hummer stays in business, perhaps.

Anyway, like Tony, its common for me to see porches, and hundred thousand $ cars on my way to and from work. Yet, I've come to realize the most amazing thing ever - if I won the lottery, or had an infinite source of income - I'd still be driving this car. Sure, maybe I'd have a 911 convertable to show off occasionally, but my main car would be this one, period. I am driving my dream car, and at 27 years old no less. And, I will never want a non-full-hybrid car again, nor will I ever want to have a non SS/SE equipped car again, nor a car that can't get at least 50mpgs (I'm at 18k, averaging 51.2mpg, it gets better in time).

I have spent my previous years assuming I'd have to settle for a few pluses in a car, never getting what I really wanted. I no longer have that.

-m.

10. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    being a fellow geek i can say that i didnt expect a perfect car by any means... but at just over 20,000 i have to say the car has far exceeded my expectations and that of nearly everyone that has ridden with me.

a very close friend of mine bought a VW Passet. paid more for it and is already having issues with the car. he drives more than i do and considered a Prius but couldnt wait (also i dont think he would have because he wanted a sportier type car)

you can see by my byline that i get much more than 40 mpg and would under the worst of conditions. but all that has to do with driving styles and conditions. so you can improve there.

but i am a computer geek and its pretty common knowledge in circles i run in that Japan is a good 2 years ahead of us in the geek department. i sometimes want to cry when i think about all the cool things they got to try that never made it here.

so when the new Prius came around, i was determined to be one of the ones who got one in case it faded fast. obviously that concern is moot now, but i have taken up the role of imforming all who show an interest the benefits of owning this car.

i guess i have to say that i never looked at the car as a perfect driving experience (although its pretty damn good. i dont have control issues and my car is tight as a drum but i dont have the upgraded stereo where i guess the speakers have been a culprit in some vehicles) but simply the right thing to do.

its not a perfect solution to anything. but its here now and any perfect solution is YEARS away. it is a deceptively large step in the right direction though and that right there is worth the price of admission.

11. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well said rflagg... i had a choice of nearly any car but chose the Prius because there isnt anything else i want to drive.

12. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Having rented far too many cars in 45 year career, very few were what I would consider premier examples of their manufacturer's intentions. To put it bluntly, rental car drivers rarely give their rented cars any respect! Therefore, they generally SUCK as top of the line performers. BTW, this experience was with most rental agencies in North America.

13. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like the unique design and driving the optimum coeficient of drag fusiform shape. The 50+ mpg fuel economy goes hand-in-hand with the SULEV (super ultra low emission vehicle). Style and minimum emissions speak loudly. Driving in stealth mode makes pedestrians take notice because of the lack of noise.

The JBL 6 CD system, cruise control, energy monitor and relative quiet make me feel in control. The custom fit heat shields for every window speak loudly of quality. Japanese engineers do what they do best: package a lot of information into every component.

14. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And even if they wanted too, they simply aren't familiar with the car. That means they are likely to bump into a curb... which will cause a tire to no longer be balanced... which will cause a rough ride at high speeds.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Okay. My two cents worth:

I've only ever had one rattle. It turned out to be the garage-door opener I had put in the cup holder. No squeeks. I'm at about 6,000 miles.

I bought this car because I'm a gadget freak and a moderate environmentalist. I was not enough of an environmentalist to buy an Insight or the Classic Prius, but I love the bragging rights about mileage and emissions.

Don't buy this car to save money. If you need to save money buy a used Civic. Late 1990's will give you a fine, reliable car, and your lifetime total cost will be far less than a new Prius, But, hey, you don't buy a BMW or a Porsche to save money either. You buy them because they are special, and because you feel they're worth what they cost. The Prius has features and quality only found in much more expensive cars, reliability only found in Toyota and Honda, and a drivetrain design so elegant it is a work of art. (No clutch, no transmission!)

My Prius is stable enough at 75 mph (the speed limit on our freeways) and even 85 for passing. However, it requires constant effort to drive in a strong crosswind. That's a drawback. But I don't do much freeway driving.

I have an irrational prejudice against automatic transmissions. I liked my old manual Civic. But the Prius gives me the best of both worlds: It simply eliminates the transmission entirely.

I suppose comparing a Prius to a BMW might be like comparing a speedboat to a sailboat. The BMW is a powerful car, built to go fast. If you want to go fast, you want a speedboat. You fly across the water leaving everything in your wake. But I like a sailboat better. It's more soothing, more relaxing. It's more environmental. The analogy breaks down because the Prius will go as fast as the law allows, so you get there just as soon. But the trade-off is there: the BMW gives you muscle. The Prius puts one-tenth as much smog-forming emissions into the air. And the Prius is no slouch on acceleration. That electric motor has got torque like nobody's business. After a Civic, the Prius has oodles of power.

We don't have traffic jams here in Fargo. A traffic jam here is when it takes two cycles of the traffic light, and an extra 2 minutes, to get past an intersection. But plenty of folks have reported the soothing effect of waiting in traffic, engine off, electric motor moving the car when all you can do is creep forward a few feet, while all around you the SUV's are paying big bucks through their gas tanks to sit still.

The Prius is not for everyone. But if you can afford a new car, you like gadgets, and you want to minimize your impact on the environment, without giving up very adequate power and size, then the Prius is for you.

And the $3,000 more that you suggest the Prius costs, that's not for the hybrid power train; that's for all the features you get, and the pure Toyota design and build quality. This car is worth more than its price, IMO.

Now, someone who does not care about technology, and does not believe that oil is finite, or that the Earth can absorb only a finite amount of pollution, would have no reason to buy a Prius except that for $24,000 (pkg "AM") you get a car that's worth $30,000.

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    daniel... Kelly Blue Book shares your opinion

http://priuschat.com/forums/money-in-the-b...?highlight=bank

17. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I didn't set out to buy the Prius. I wanted a decent car with the following: ABS, traction control, stability control, brake assist, side and head curtain airbags. Those options alone really limit your choices. For example, a Toyota Camry will allow you those options, but only in the top-of-the-line V6 that costs just as much as the Prius, and returns 1/3 to 1/2 the fuel economy, especially in city traffic. The Toyota Avalon here in Canada costs $12,000 MORE than the Prius. I first noticed the Prius as one was parked next to the aforementioned Avalon in the showroom at the dealership. I sat in the Prius, became intrigued, was talked into a LONG test drive with the sales guy (Slow day??), and ended up cutting a check that day. Overall, I don't regret my decision. I think Toyota could have done a better job prototyping, as I did have one breakdown that was software related. Then again, one of my neighbors at my condo drives a 2004 BMW 745Li with that mind-numbing IDrive control system. The BMW is ALWAYS in the shop, it also left him stranded a few times, and cost around 3.5 X what my Prius cost. I gave him a ride to work one morning and he REALLY liked my Prius. I love the attention I get in my Prius, though I have to always clean fingerprints off the side windows (People gawking at the interior when the car is parked somewhere). I'm not on an ego trip here, but it's really cool how an average four door hatchback gets a LOT more attention than a $100,000 luxury German import. Can you buy cheaper cars? You bet. Cars this cool and attention-grabbing, especially for the money? I doubt it.

18. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    DBM, I'll chime in :)

19. DBM

DBM New Member

Again, you guys make some very good points. I guess the main point is to approach the Prius with a different state of mind. The problem is that I love gadgets yet I'm also an agressive driver. I love sailing but I also love speed boats...

20. rflagg

rflagg Member

I think that once you drive the Prius regularly, you might possibly go through what many of us have - 'Road Calm' (opposite of road rage), 'Prius Zen' - whatever you want to call it.

Here's what happens with some of us. We drive our old cars aggressively and have road rage. Hate sitting in traffic, get angry and floor it and block out anyone at any chance we get.

Then you get this car. For me, this car showed me something - regardless of how much I *heard* it, seeing it was much more real - I saw how my bad driving affected my mileage. I begun to realize 'hey, if I don't punch it from the stoplight, I can coax the car to stay in stealth mode for a few seconds longer', or 'hey, if I'm more aware of the stopping/stopped traffic ahead, I'll coast instead of hard braking'.

Obviously, it might happen to you, it might not, no one is to say. But if you begin to see yourself making changes to your driving actions in attempts to nudge that mileage ever higher, you'll begin to realize the true joy of Prius.

Now, as Evan has said before, I look for the Semi and get behind him, because I know he'll start off from a stop slow, and I get more stealth - and he'll also do more coasting than normal drivers & less hard braking, another good thing for the car.

And you know what's the most amazing part? I'm not any later or earlier to my destinations. Driving to work takes me the same amount of time, but saves quite a bit of money driving the Prius vs. my 2000 Neon.

-m.