1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Make Toyota Pay for Dead Gen 1 Battery?!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Allan, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    My 2001 with 118,000 miles was recalled at around 60,000 due to the good potential for a battery leak (they applied a "sealant" as a "fix"--were most Gen 1s recalled in this manner???). Subsequently, I noticed my mileage going down for no reason from 47 to 39 MPG. Then the engine started running at a stop more often than normal (attempting to recharge bad cells?), and occassionally there'd be a light indicating a problem likely having to do with the battery, but it would go away. All of these symptoms were reported and checked out by the dealer while under warranty but I was always told everything's normal.

Now that I'm just past my warranty all the lights have gone on and the dealer says I have to pay for the battery. Codes showing are: 3006 (Battery fluid levels unusually different between blocks), and P3013 (Battery Block 3 is weak--15.33 V).

I contend that Toyota knew this battery was problematic from the beginning, and just carried me and many other owners along with "fixes" and "everything's" normal, hoping it'd last the full warranty period. Toyota says they'll discount the battery 25%, but it seems they should be pressed to acknowledge that the failure was occuring under warranty and cover all or most of the cost. Anyone have success at pressing this? Anyone know of a Class Action suit challenging Toyota, especially if signs of failure were happening during warranty? I'm going from the dealer GM to the District Service Rep, but don't expect much response.

Any other advice would be very much appreciated (I've read the comments on various rebuilt, used, new options; and I don't have the time/ability to rebuild myself, nor the money to buy one!). Thanks for any help you can lend.

Allan

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    10 year old car w/ 118k miles--I don't think you have much of a case. Seek out an inexpensive salvage battery and get a good local mechanic to replace it or do it yourself. You can probably do that for the same cost as your first 2-3 hours of legal expense to try to sue Toyota would be.

3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I think Oakland is not too far from Art's Automotive and even Lucious Garage. Independent shops, they may be able to give you other options. . . . What harm in a phone call?

So you had the car since new?

Bob Wilson

4. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Hi Bob,
    Yes, I bought it new; and the dealer repair service has notes about my many complaints that indicate a dying battery. It seems wrong for that to be ignored until the warranty lapses, especially since it was acknowledged early on by Toyota that these batteries were defective and prone to leak, like mine has. Can you tell me whether my Block 3, which registers low on fluid and dead, could have been leaking over a period of 10 or 20,000 miles? Or would a leak cause more immediate failure? Dealers say that Toyota has covered a whole range of amounts in such situations...nothing uniform. Thanks. Allan

Allan

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent on being an original owner. As for dealing with Toyota:
    I'm not Toyota but I know folks have had different levels of success. All you can do is document everything and use the Corporate address with all of the facts and data (keeping a copy for your records.) Give the company a chance to address your concern and issues and 'do the right thing.'

If you are not satisfied with their response, take it and your letter to Toyota to a local attorney and for an initial survey fee, ~$25, see if they think there is a case. Do a little research first to find an advocacy attorney. But if the attorney asks for more, up front, begin to weight your options against approximately $1,700 to 'do it yourself.'

My wife once turned down an insurance settlement and insisted on suing. After everything was said and done, she 'won' but only got the same amount about 18 months later. Good, fast, cheap, pick two of three.

Good Luck!
    Bob Wilson

7. adric22

adric22 Ev and Hybrid Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Well, I hate to say it. But the car had a specific warranty period to which Toyota guaranteed you a working car. It sounds like your battery made it to that point. Obviously, they knew it was going to fail. After all, every battery will fail eventually. It isn't Toyota's job to make sure that you get a fresh battery before your warranty is up so that it will last 10 more years outside of your warranty period.

8. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Thanks for the tips, and I'll let you know how it comes out!

Allan

9. Allan

Allan New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    I do appreciate your opinion. The difference is that I think the symptoms I reported (endless recharging, loss of mileage and power, etc.), along with the battery being recalled for leakage/sealing, and codes before the warranty expired should have been enough for them to call it "bad" and replace it.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If I was you I would omit the leak/seal argument, and instead focus my complaint to Toyota on the evidence that the battery was performing poorly and should have been replaced before the warranty ran out.

I'm curious -- did your local dealer *try* to have a warranty repair authorized and fail ?

If you end up having to foot the repair bill, Bob Wilson bought a remanufactured HV battery for his G1 Prius made of G2 modules. You can search for his thread, or try PM'g him for information. That strikes me as an excellent back-up plan.

11. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Minor correction, it wasn't my NHW11 but a friend who lives down in Blountsville, AL. His 2001 Prius had 250,000 miles and I just helped do 'the heavy lifting.'

Bob Wilson

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My instinct is just to tell you, that you have a tough case. Truth is that ultimately you got 60,000 miles before a recall, and then an additional 58,000 more after the work was done. Even though you witnessed a decline in how your battery worked. You've also owned the automobile for almost a decade. I know it doesn't help you now, but if you were unhappy about the way your battery was declining or the way it operated after the recall the best time to press it was immediately after the recall, 58,000 miles later and after 9+ years of ownership leaves you with little leverage.

I think your being reasonable about this, and you are probably correct that to an extent, keeping the battery functioning for the life of the warranty even though it was declining was exactly what was happenning. But the battery is a component that will decline with age and use, like brakes, transmission and a lot of automobile components. Again if you thought the decline was abnormal or not happening at an acceptable rate, the time to press it was shortly after having the recall work done, but 58,000 miles later and out of the warranty period leaves you in a bad place.

There was another thread where a person who had a battery failure outside of warranty pressed Toyota, I think with much less of a case, (no recall involved) for a battery replacement. The poster ultimately reported that Toyota had decided to cover a large percentage of the cost for replacement...50% or more, I can't remember. So you might just "ask", reasonably and calmly. You really have nothing to lose. I actually think Toyota agreeing to discount 25% is pretty fair.

Good Luck, I know, "I don't think you have much of a case" isn't what you want to hear but I think it's the reality. Toyota attached an 6 to 8 year warranty to their batteries to create confidence in the hybrid product. So it's a long warranty by default. Nobody wants to cross that line and then have a problem but Toyota has to put the line somewhere...they can't say we'll replace your battery for free...forever....In your unfortunate case, it does seem you had some additional uncharacteristic level of failure before the warranty expired, and that was the time to be agressive about potential replacement. I think calm, reasonable communication is your best friend here. Perhaps you can get Toyota to increase the percentage they are willing to cover, or at the very least find different avenues for cheaper replacement.