1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making a Global Warming Website

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Mirza, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Hey everyone,

Having gotten my macbook, I've begun work on a global warming website... which is going to have several sections... one with links to research and/or articles of global warming research. I would like to make a request: if any of you have bookmarked a website/article/research/study on Global Warming or anything related to it, I would really appreciate it if you could send me the link (PM or email me, please). I have probably bookmarked at least about a 100 pages, but the more options the better. I will post the website address soon... I expect to have a draft up by this coming Sunday.

2. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 9 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]300230[/snapback]</div>
    Mirza,

On your site, please include links to e mail the White House and/or State Representatives on the matter. Maybe you could have a link to assist people with locating their representatives to make it easier for them to take action. The more noise people make, the more recognition the matter will receive. It's always best if a person individualizes their letters so maybe you could have suggestions for content and then have a space where they can draft their own letter. Thanks for your time and drive with this. It's wonderful that there are people like you that don't only discuss the matter but want to educate and mobilize people on the matter.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

The website is coming alone, and will be posted soon (not totally complete, however). I appreciate the feedback, as it will be incorporated.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    have a domain name yet?

6. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Mizra,

Another thing that would be excellent (at least in my mind) would be to have a "what you the individual can do" section. Things like transportation options, home efficiency options, etc. This is often a very "gloom and doom" subject and I think that enables helplessness. People need to understand that there's a tremendous amount of "low hanging fruit" at the individual level. If everybody replaced that porch light with a CF bulb that would be a tremendous start. People need to understand that we can make huge strides towards curbing CO2 emission without any sacrifice in standard of living.

Kudos for taking the time to put up a site. Have you checked out google to optimize it for search engine indexing? That'll help you get your message out to more people.

7. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 11 2006, 09:25 AM) [snapback]301523[/snapback]</div>
    Your website abuses itself?!? :blink: :lol: :rolleyes:

What would be nice is if you presented both sides of the issue and not just the distorted crap that is already out there. Otherwise your site is just another of the hundreds or thousands printing the same talking points as all the rest, why bother?

Still waiting on a response to my question. . .

Do you or do you not advocate using violence against people that verbally assault you? Simple question why are you avoiding it? The reason I ask is because your avatar and sig line seem to suggest it.

Wildkow

p.s. Inquiring minds want to know! :rolleyes:

8. Alric

Alric New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 12 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]301989[/snapback]</div>

The only distorted crap exists outside of peer-reviewed journals and outside the community of global climatologists. If you ask the actual published experts there is concensus of at least a significant contribution to climate change by humans.

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    For the what you can do section.

I'd like to suggest it be prioritized from simple to complex or from free to expensive.

Simple things that don't cost money would be things like keeping your tires inflated, coasting to red lights, no jackrabbit starts, driving 55-65 on the freeway, etc.

While insulation costs money I did my attic myself a few rolls at a time until it was done.

Up to the expensive like photovoltaic.

There is a lot you can include on recycling too. Like recycling rechargeable batteries and spent printer ink cartridges. I can include empty food cans in with my recycling now along with cardboard, newspaper, glass, plastic, aluminum, etc.

If you're using Dreamweaver consider using templates. It's a real time saver when it comes to updates.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok posted this on another thread here but thought it would be worthwhile to post here since you are looking for suggestions. i read a book about processed foods and how they are created, manipulated and maintained. it was VERY VERY enlightening and revealed a ton about what we eat and what it is doing to us and the environment. the book is The Omnivore's Dilemma, The Natural History of Four Meals by Michael Pollan.

it addresses food additives, processed meats, including whole foods like chicken, beef and pork. we all know that farming uses chemicals to help increase the yield of crops and many of those chemicals are oil based. but that is actually a small part of the global warming effects that new farming has on the planet.

Pollan goes into depth the experiences he learned as a workhand on a farm that raises poultry, eggs, beef, rabbits, pork, etc. to sell. the farm does not use any synthetic fertilizer, pesticide or antibiotic. they sell their product for more than twice the going price ($2.05 a dozen for eggs) and can't keep up with the demand.

how they do this is by using the natural processes already in place to maintain the fertility of the land. cannot even begin to give this book the recognition it deserves. if you are interested in preserving the environment, reducing greenhouse gas emmisions, etc, read this book. below is a quote from the book

This productivity means Joel's pastures will, like his woodlots, remove thousands of pounds of carbon from the atmosphere each year; instead of sequestering all that carbon in trees, however, grasslands store most of it underground, in the form of soil humus. In fact, grassing over that portion of the world's cropland now being used to grow grain to feed ruminants would offset fossil fuel emissions appreciably. For example, if the sixteen million acres now being used to grow corn to feed cows in the United States became well-managed pasture, that would remove fourteen billion pounds of carbon from the atmosphere each year, the equivalent of taking four million cars off the road. We seldom focus on farming's role in global warming, but as much as a third of of all the greenhouse gases that human activity has added to the atmosphere can be attributed to the saw and the plow

11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, if converting grasslands to cornfields is bad for reversing global warming...just think what is going to happen when ethanol gets a real, good push. We'll probably see even more land used for corn.

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes the energy needed to get ethanol out of corn is unfortunate and if the government were not subsidizing corn, it would never have been considered. many other products would have greater yields with less energy input needed.

there is also the nutrients that need to be put back into the ground when farming corn. manufacturing corn on an industrial basis simply is not a self sustaining process. we are robbing peter to pay paul and that is not going to work over the long haul.

13. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Wildkow,

No I don't advocate violence. And I am not going to debate that point.

I loved the suggestions, all of them will be implemented. The website WILL be posted tonight (barring any unforeseen circumstances)... it will not be completed at the time of posting, but a fair bit of it is ready. I am aiming to have the website 'completed' (there will always be new information and ideas)

14. Mirza

Mirza New Member

web.mac.com/priustech

Today my progress came along slower than I had expected (moving stuff around and whatnot). My plan of progression is to go down my bookmarks list and add the rest of the relevant material, and then proceed to implement the ideas and links PM'd and posted.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Aug 13 2006, 10:03 PM) [snapback]302812[/snapback]</div>
    Nice start.

Where did you get the home page view of earth image and the "Thank you for smoking" jpeg? Is it copyrighted? Did you get permission to use it? You need to be scrupulous about copyright when you do websites. That's why I do my own graphics.....then I own them.

When I tabbed to the The World is Flat page the top changed. I would take everything from the top and put it on the misconceptions page with either a drop down under each page to subpages or make a table and list them under each subtopic. Consistency is good. And you don't want to confuse issues by moving the links around. Plus, there's no way back or to navigate from the misconception page.

And what does smoking tobacco have to do with Global Warming? Other than the similarity in tactics between oil and tobacco? Yeah, I read the naturalscience article. I still think it's a stretch to include all of the rest of the anti-smoking stuff.

I'd also make those links as pop-up windows so you never leave the Thanks for Smoking page when you go to an article. That way you don't have to hit the back button, just close a window.

Plants will save us page. "The trees we now have our(ARE) second-growth trees." Grandiosity? Uh....I'd rephrase.

Poverty page: Dutch Kyoto agreement can be meet(MET) despite increasing energy consumption.

On the glaciers/ice melting page....see if you can find references to a drop in polar bear populations due to early melting and dust/airborne particulate matter increasing melting

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    very nice start.

17. Mirza

Mirza New Member

Progress is going very slowly... med school is rough... I will have to work on the website slowly over the coming weeks to bring about the suggestions... while waiting for the professor... lunchtime... whenever I have a bit of of spare time. The input is very helpful, beneficial, and highly appreciated... thank you!