1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making a Prius c faster

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Adadrian, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Adadrian

Adadrian New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    disclaimer I am NOT wanting to make my Prius c faster, just curious.

Coming from a fuel guzzling v8 background, there has always been hundreds of thousands of "mods" you can do to make your vehicle faster, exhaust,Otr,turbo chargers,tune ups etc.

Is there anything like that out there for hybrids?

I remember when I got a dyno,Otr and exhaust on my v8 it actually improved my mpg.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nope.

i suppose you could strip out the interior and go on a diet.:cool:

there is that 'speed chip' you can buy...

SwhitePC likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would be easier to make Donald Trump sound soft spoken and reasonable on TV.

I'm not saying that it CAN'T happen, just that the result might not be reliable and it would be really REALLY hard to do.

ftl likes this.
  4. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've kind of learned over the years that if someone wants to do something bad enough, somebody, somewhere can make it happen.
    But in general the Hybrid Synergy Drive system IS the Hybrid Synergy Drive system, which is designed for efficiency. That's a lot of components including computer control, that are all made to work together to make a Prius a Prius. So IMO the vehicle does not lend itself easily to performance upgrades.

So I'm going to say in general No. But there probably is a mad scientist or two out there. Personally I'd avoid them.

PS.
    I suppose to boil it down, I'd say, even if you found some way to make it possible. With a Prius I don't think it's a very good idea.

If I wanted to play with "fast" or performance upgrades, I'd buy a second ICE vehicle, maybe an older one, with the specific goal of making it my "speed" vehicle.

#5 The Electric Me, Dec 3, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Atkinson Cycle engine will respond to different mods than an Otto Cylce engine: because it pumps 1/3 of the cylinder's intake back out into the manifold, "Cold Air" intakes will not pull in cold air and if they are 'Shorty" they may alter the air fuel mixture, causing codes.
    In an Otto Cycle engine the exhaust is still expanding in the exhaust system, while in Atkinson cycle much more expansion has happened in the cylinder, so large exhaust buys you little.

Fanatics have Supercharged and Turbocharged the Prius. So far as I know their are no kits for this you will have to fabricate the parts yourself.

Atkinson cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AutoSpeed - Technokill: Building a Blown Hybrid, Part 1 (these are both 5 part articles, I think you can add 1 to the index number in the URL to get to the next part)

AutoSpeed - The Story of Turbo'ing a Hybrid Prius, Part 1

7. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with "The Electric Me", getta clunker and have at it. Since you are new to Priuschat, much as been discussed on this subject, with the end result being to leave the motor alone and mod the hell out of the rest. Take your time and read about the history of the hybrid Prius, it is in itself, simply put, so ahead of the game, trying to tinker with it can only hurt it. Myself, I am keeping an eye out for an older VW (60's bug) to modify. My Prius is my cadillac. Read about your AC unit (one of kind and efficient as hell). Read about the drive train (no bands to wear out). This car just rocks in all areas except speed!! But give it time. As soon as the rest of the consumer market comes over, they will figure out a way to make them zoom like the Tesla.

gsmckee likes this.
  8. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    Switch off ECO mode... quite simple really :) it won't turn your car in to a Tesla but there is a noticeable difference. You MPG might suffer though.

PLSPUSH likes this.