1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Making CAN View Earn its Keep

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ekpolk, May 1, 2007.

1. ekpolk

ekpolk What could possibly...

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Right up front, let me be clear -- I don't have any under the table (or over the table for that matter) deal set up with Norm. A bit over a month ago, I installed my CAN View V3 in my 04 Prius. This car is, as most of you well know, already a gadget freak's dream. CV just takes the ecstacy to a higher plane. Well done Norm; this is a really nice product!

As I've learned the system and how to work with it, I quickly realized that there are some choices to be made. The three pages of graphics screens, as well as the text info, offer more than one can digest while driving down the road. This realization (which didn't take long...), led to the next question: what's the "best" setup for maximizing FE? This is my current "primary display" which I now use in place of the standard Toyota screens:
    [​IMG]

There are two more pages, four parameters each, all selectable from the available list.

Having rpm there remedies Toyota's glaring omission of a tach in this car. It also makes it much easier to set limits on engine speed, which seems to have a great positive effect on FE. Keeping it under 2500 rpms as much as you can seems to be very effective.

Coolant temp, in addition to the obvious "engine safety" value, seems to help with predicting how inclined the car will be to stay in stealth mode.

mpg? Not sure if this is very helpful. It's an instant value, and moves a lot, of course. Having the tach probably provides much of the same benefit as this datum.

Instant charge is great for observing that "stay out of the battery" rule for maximizing FE.

The graphic screens also provide a horizontal "bar graph" readout of throttle position, which I penned in in the picture, lower left. This display is great for manipulating stealth mode as it usually turns from green to yellow right before the ICE fires up. See yellow, ease off a tad, keep it in stealth a tad longer. Good feature you can see in peripheral vision.

Other parameters that can be displayed are: Volts, Amps, SoC, VVTi position, Battery Temp, Fuel Flow, Fuel Inj pulse measurements, Throttle Pos, Brake pos, ICE MG and wheel hp estimates, rpms for the MGs.

Does anyone have any ideas for better use of my "primary display"? I'm still experimenting with combinations of displays and if I can find a more sensible or effective set of parameters, that would be great.

Apologies for the long-winded post... :rolleyes:

2. Cheap!

Cheap! New Member

I just installed my Can-View too. So ditto...what he said. Anyone? :mellow: Oh, does anyone read the hieroglyphics that are on the text screen? :unsure:

Way, Way, Way too much to digest while driving!

Great product Norm.

3. D0li0

D0li0 New Member

I use this as my primary page, not sure if you have the relay options and code on yours?
    http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/PiPrius_conve...ess#PHEV_Page_1

As for the graph screens, I like to have a power page and a rpms page...
    The power page would have combined power, electric power, ice power, and horse power.
    The rpms page would have ice, mg1, and mg2 rpms and perhaps combined power...
    Not sure if any of that helps in your quest for the best EF screen configuration...
    But I agree, the CAN-View is the best thing since... Well, since the Prius itself I suppose ;)

L8r
    Ryan